balanced singals question
Jan 17, 2004 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

A3rd.Zero

100+ Head-Fier
I built a passive preamplifier which contains switching and vloume controls. I am using it to send a signal to two powered speakers, but their runs are getting longer than I had anticipated so the interconnects are humming (they are unbalenced)

How do I crate a balenced signal? I know that the second pin is an inverse of the first pin but how would I go about creating such a thing?

Thanks

Milo

Jan 17, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 4
So I just found this.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an003.pdf

However I am not sending an "amplified" signal so I have no idea if this will help or hurt the situation. Specifically I was planning on using the option specified at 2.4. but only after I had tried the minimal adapter cable. I would like to avoid introducing power into this passive device.

thoghts?

Milo

edit:sp

Jan 17, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 4
This is not going to work at all. If you're using a passive preamplifier you need to keep the distance between the potentiometer and the amp (or in your case, the powered speakers) as short as possible. With a long cable run you're going to get moderate to major treble rolloff and noise pickup, even if you go balanced.

Your best bet if you want to stay passive is to replace your current potentiometer with a 500 ohm one. It's hard to find audio/logarithmic taper stereo potentiometers with so little resistance, but you may be able to find some if you look hard enough.

Realistically, though, a powered preamp is the right choice for your current application.

Jan 18, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 4
shoot.

unfortunatly its a little too late to go powered on this one. However the runs will only be about 7' each at most. Thanks for the information. Ill try a balenced setup and hope for the best, I really cant go redesigning this system this late in the game.

Milo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back