Balanced Power - DIY
Aug 26, 2002 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AssafL

Head-Fier
Jude - perhaps this should go into the DIY section.

Did anyone construct their own balanced power conditioner? The transformers are readily available from the likes of Plitron, and all you need are some chokes, capacitors and sockets.....

I have bought two transformers, one is a 750kVA 2x60V and one is a LONO 1kVA toroids (the latter is a hefty 34lbs). To configure these to a balanced power is easy (see equitech's site). The question now is how to configure the filtering.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

AssafL.

Aug 27, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 8
I am using a similer set up. I used to have a link to the info you are looking for. I will see if I can dig it up.

Aug 27, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks. Equitech's site is very informative.
In designing the filter circuitry, do you just take several 1uF X2 capacitors to ground and chokes in series?
What frequency would you attempt to block with such a filter? A 1uf (big) with a 1mH (unreasonable size) coild would give a 31kHz filter....

Thanks,

AssafL

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 8
The usual approach is kinda like a best guess as to what frequency to aim for. Wouldn't it be nice if you knew you had a specific freq you wanted to filter out! I would compare designs with a oem style filter and see what they are doing as for values. I will see what I can dig up. You can stack filters if you want to try for a broadband effect. Also , I would make sure to include some nice ferrite chocks in there too. My understanding is they are naturally broadbanded.

I got my tranny's for free! I would just do a web search for balanced power transformer and you will get hits.

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 8
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/index2.htm

This guy is semi-famous over on Audio Asylum. Alot of people listen to what he has to say there. He has some design info on power filtering on his web site. Should be helpful as to values. I am not sure if he is using common mode chokes in his design, like the commercial noise filters do. (In my opinion common mode is the right choke to use in this application.)

Aug 28, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks Budgie, the link is very useful.

Bootman - I bought my transformers at Plitron. A regular 750VA Toroid goes for ~$70-80 (you need 2*60V, or 120V Center tapped). Their Top of the Line LoNo toroids goes for less than $300 for a 1kVA behemoth (No power on on current rush to trip your fuse!!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back