Balanced portable DAP?
Sep 18, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #16 of 22
the new Onkyo will be balance. They come out in Nov and look incredible on paper, but may be around the 900 range or more.  I've heard Pono balanced in a very high rez Ayre/Vandersteen system and it was excellent.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 22
Cayin N5

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #18 of 22
Cayin N5

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I am looking to moving back to a DAP from a portable DAC (via tablet) setup and am currently looking into the Cayin N5 and HiFiMan RE-400b or RE-600's to go with it and make the most of the balanced output.

I notice you've owned both of these two so wondered if you had tried them together and could give me an idea of how well they work together?

Is going balanced with IEM's like these a worth while step up in quality over say a pair of RHA MA750's or the unbalanced Hifiman RE-400 waterlines?

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #20 of 22
The most affordable balanced DAP that sounds very good is the Pono.  I don't know it's not sexy, but I've heard this DAP in balanced mode running with my Ayre AX5/Twenty integrated and Vandersteen Treo's (yes, my system).  This thing was amazing.  the sound is there and it's not that expensive. Ayre basically designed this thing and for the price it's very very good.  The Onkyo seems to have all the bells and whistles for 600, but no one knows how it sounds yet.  It gets released very soon and a few have it, but it needs to burn in etc...so there isn't anything about the quality out there yet.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #21 of 22
The most affordable balanced DAP that sounds very good is the Pono.  I don't know it's not sexy, but I've heard this DAP in balanced mode running with my Ayre AX5/Twenty integrated and Vandersteen Treo's (yes, my system).  This thing was amazing.  the sound is there and it's not that expensive. Ayre basically designed this thing and for the price it's very very good.  The Onkyo seems to have all the bells and whistles for 600, but no one knows how it sounds yet.  It gets released very soon and a few have it, but it needs to burn in etc...so there isn't anything about the quality out there yet.

o. i forgot to mention that i am currently using hifiman re600 so its only a 1 3.5mm jack.

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #22 of 22
iBasso says they are working on a new product the DX200 that will offer balanced out...
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back