Balanced or not balanced β22?
Apr 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

c12mech

100+ Head-Fier
I've pretty much decided to build a β22.  What I have not decided is whether to spend the extra money and go balanced.  Is there any point to going balanced without a balanced source.  I will eventually get a balanced dac and am looking into a good sacd player with balanced outputs.  Is there any reason I cannot start with a 2 or 3 channel amp and add the 4th later?  AS far as the power supply goes, it is recommended to use a separate power supply board for each channel with the balanced version.  Does that mean a separate transformer as well or can I use a transformer with a higher amp rating for multiple channels? I plan to use separate cases for amp and power supply.

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 6
If you start with a 3-channel active ground config, you will have to change the ground channel into a regular amp channel which involves changing a few caps and resistors. It may be easier just to go from 2 to 4. You can use just one power supply to power all 4 boards as long as it has enough juice. The separate supplies is recommended for speakers, but not necessary for headphone usage.

I myself am doing a 3-channel build where all my boards are regular amp boards, but I'm also attempting a weird "active balanced ground" topology inspired by Jan Meier.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 6
I forgot to mention it will be used for some small full range speakers that I am working on for my office.  That's the reason I asked about multiple power supplies.  I will most likely start with the 2 channel version and add 2 more for balanced as I get the money.  The case will be built for balanced from the get go.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 6
For a full wacky setup...
- 4 b22 boards
- two s22 boards and two transformers
- balanced speaker output
- balanced headphone output
- dual single ended passive ground headphone outputs

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
For a full wacky setup...
- 4 b22 boards
- two s22 boards and two transformers
- balanced speaker output
- balanced headphone output
- dual single ended passive ground headphone outputs

That's a little more involved than I was thinking but it would be cool.  Seems that with a couple of selector switches and some extra wiring it could be done.  Something for me to think about. 
eek.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Actually it shouldn't be too complicated. You essentially build two independant sets of 2-board b22s. Then when you smoosh it all together, you just have to add the extra hookups for the balanced inputs, balanced headphones, and speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back