Balanced options for the short list...
Aug 12, 2006 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm going to a balanced rig and that means the Tri-Vista 21 has to go
frown.gif

Now obviously for the move to be worthwhile it would be nice if the DAC that replaces it is within the same ballpark as the Tri-Vista. Problem is I don't want to spend Tri-Vista dollars on it
biggrin.gif

So what DACs are available with true balanced outputs, are up to par with the Tri-Vista and are available in the 1200USD range new or used?

I know of the Benchmark DAC1 and Stello DA220. Frankly the Lavry is out because its not readily available used and new I'd rather the Stello, sorry.

Aug 13, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 12
The Zahlou is also balanced. May I ask what is prompting the switch? Do you have an amplifier with balanced inputs? Moving the cdplayer to the other side of the room? If what you are after is simply a differential signal then a Balanced Line Driver from JensenTransformers may be sufficient for your needs, and it will not require a source upgrade.

Aug 13, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 12
The reasoning is that I've been rolling through headphones to correct the faults of the Senn 650 and I'm done. Nothing I have tried so far can compete with the Senn 650 as a total package.

The Beyer 880 was dry and distant, the Grado RS1 unbearably uncomfortable, my new AKG 701 is still burning in but its headband reach just barely covers my ears
frown.gif
So despite the 701's great sound its fit is lacking.

So I'm done going through cans to fix the minor issues I have with the Senn 650 and instead will tailor my rig to it. I'm looking at getting a balanced amp, probably a HeadAmp GS-X or SFT DynaMight. SFT seems to be MIA though. That and I didn't think the Dynahi I had could compete with the Reference so chances are it'll be a HeadAmp solution. Cable wise I'm going to just get another Silway but xlr and I have a Zu Mobius xlr on order.

Just leaves the source and a very sore wallet
600smile.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 12
The $1210 price tag
biggrin.gif

For that price you can get used Reference or DynaMight.

Aug 13, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
The $1210 price tag
biggrin.gif

For that price you can get used Reference or DynaMight.

World wide shipping is included in that price. You don't get a GS-X for that.
But I agree that a used Reference is nice (well, more than that) too. Not for me in EU probably, due to 110v and shipping cost.

Aug 13, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 12
I now understand why the Stello is on your list instead of the Lavry.

For others here check out this link.

http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/DA10_...X-p-22512.html

Back I made an offer when they were very new on the market and they took an discounted offer for a new one.

So don't necessarily think the MSRP is the lowest new price that you can get.

So if this model is an open box it was most likely returned and they took a restocking fee. If you are interested why not make then a low ball offer and see what they respond with?

Aug 13, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Maybe one of these days I'll write some sort of review, but for now I can tell you the 650 sounds incredible in my recently aquired balanced Headamp GS-X, Apogee Mini DAC set up. Everything is better now with the 650, but the highs for one are really lush with a closer to the stage sound. Hearing the 650 through better gear is really something else.

edit = meant add the Apogee with usb new goes for around $1200 or even less depending where you shop. Used somewhere around $850.

Aug 13, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Casse DAC-1
Wadia 12
Mark Levinson No. 36
All these are balanced, and good. Should be able to find one somewhere from below to just over your 1210.00 dollar limit. If I think of anything else I'll post again.
Hope this helps.

Aug 13, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks for the options guys. Should add it needs to be 24 bit since the Emu won't output 16 or 20 bit
frown.gif

I did see that Classe DAC1 on AudioGon and almost cried. I used to have a Classe CDP.5 that I really liked
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back