Balanced IEMs?
Dec 2, 2017 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

macdonjh

Headphoneus Supremus
I am interested in balanced IEMs. I know some A&K and JHA IEMs can be used in balanced configuration. Any others?

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Any iem can be used balanced as long as you retrofit a balanced cable to it. Obviously way easier with some iems. FIIO makes a pretty cheap balanced cable that I’m using with my SM64s. Sounds good.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Gfabbri is spot on. You just need a new cable that is terminated in a TRRS configuration. One way to look at it, is that every IEM is essentially balanced until the ground for each driver is combined into the same connector on the TRS jack. The balanced cable just separates the one sleeve into 2 rings

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #4 of 4
Gfabbri is spot on. You just need a new cable that is terminated in a TRRS configuration. One way to look at it, is that every IEM is essentially balanced until the ground for each driver is combined into the same connector on the TRS jack. The balanced cable just separates the one sleeve into 2 rings

Thank you, gfabbri and cossix. I guess if I'd thought about it, I would have figured that out. I am still confused, though, by the IEMs that have four-pin connectors (to each ear phone, not at the device-end of the cable). Why four pins at the ear phone? Separate internal wiring to bass and high-frequency drivers? Like bi-wiring speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back