Balanced IEM with mic/remote with iPhone 5S
Jul 31, 2015 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

notfitforpublic

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for an all day carry for use with an iPhone 5S when I don't have my Fiio X3ii with me or music streaming. Both the Havi B3 Pro 1 and the Soundmagic E80 are on the top of the list but I found conflicting reports on these two IEM's being driven by an iPhone only. I understand that both of these will perform better with an amp, the same was said about the GR07 BE's  I have (and love) but I have no issue with how the sound driven by the iPhone alone. Was wondering if anyone can shed some light which of these 2 IEM's will perform better straight from an iPhone? Lower impedance of the of the Havi's say they would be the better performer, but I know impedance isn't the only factor involved.

Anyone have both these IEM's willing to chime in?

Cheers folks.

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Almost every review of the Havi that I read here said they need an amp unless you have a powerful source (not sure the iPhone qualifies) and that they sound tinny without one:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/havi-b3-pro-1

Worth reading

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 6
Almost every review of the Havi that I read here said they need an amp unless you have a powerful source (not sure the iPhone qualifies) and that they sound tinny without one:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/havi-b3-pro-1

Worth reading

Thanks liquidzoo

I did chew through a few of those prior to posting (suppose Wokei's giffs should have said it all). Wonder if the E80's suffer the same requirement. Really just looking for something to throw in my bag, ready for any source when I'm not carrying anything else.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 6
I would suggest the Fidue A73 for usage directly out of smartphones. However, I myself don't have the A73, but according to Hisoundfi, he claims that A73 sounds very good even using his LG G3.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 6
The more research I do the more I'm starting to realize the iPhone remote with mic, neutral and balanced IEM market for ~$100 is pretty slim. Seems like a majority of options with a mic/remote are V shaped sound sig. If I could find the equivalent of the GR07 BE that could easily be driven from the iPhone 5S i'd be set.

Anyone have any suggestions in a $100-$150 price range?

I would suggest the Fidue A73 for usage directly out of smartphones. However, I myself don't have the A73, but according to Hisoundfi, he claims that A73 sounds very good even using his LG G3.

These might be a solid option... I'll definitely investigate. Cheers!

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 6
Bump bump! As my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers were killed by a friend a year ago and my Bose sport ie2s or whatever they're called have gotten pretty worn, I too am searching for something to meet the same need. Extremely disappointing that Shure hasn't updated the SE215's to just ship with a smartphone remote cable in this day and age or I would've already ordered them; get with the times guys!!!

So yeah, any suggestions for a low budget ~$100 iem with remote and mic functionality would still be greatly appreciated.

notfitforpublic did you ever try out the A73's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back