Balanced IEM < $100
Dec 19, 2014 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Apex Eight

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I'm looking to move on from the bass-heavy and V-shaped IEMs I've had and move on to a more balanced sound. I feel as though my ears have matured a bit and long for a more neutral and accurate presentation. 

I listen to a lot of electronic music (which the IEMs I've had have been great at), and rock/indie rock with both male and female vocalists (which the IEMs I've had haven't been so great at, mostly due to overbearing bass), along with a bit of rap. 

Speaking of IEMs I've had, here is a list: 

SHE3590
- Still owned. Good for their price (~$10). Comfortable, V-shaped, budget IEM.

JVC FXD80
-Returned. Very bright treble, good clarity. They were pretty good, but I just could not get them to fit with my ears.

Shure SE215
-Returned. Great build and isolation. Bass-heavy sound that seemed a bit bloated at times and would make things sound congested. Good clarity.

MEElectronics M-Duo
-Returned. Similar in a lot of aspects to the SE215 without the great build (mostly due to the cheap cable), average isolation, and slightly less bass heavy sound but still V-shaped. Extended but mildly rolled off treble that I liked quite a bit (cymbals, claps, and snaps were crisp with good decay). 

I get all of my music through Spotify Premium and simply listen through my Nexus 5 or laptop, no DAC or amps. 

Would the RE-400 still be a a top pick here? Thanks in advance for your guys' input! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 8
  Hey guys!

I'm looking to move on from the bass-heavy and V-shaped IEMs I've had and move on to a more balanced sound. I feel as though my ears have matured a bit and long for a more neutral and accurate presentation. 

I listen to a lot of electronic music (which the IEMs I've had have been great at), and rock/indie rock with both male and female vocalists (which the IEMs I've had haven't been so great at, mostly due to overbearing bass), along with a bit of rap. 

Speaking of IEMs I've had, here is a list: 

SHE3590
- Still owned. Good for their price (~$10). Comfortable, V-shaped, budget IEM. 

JVC FXD80
-Returned. Very bright treble, good clarity. They were pretty good, but I just could not get them to fit with my ears.

Shure SE215
-Returned. Great build and isolation. Bass-heavy sound that seemed a bit bloated at times and would make things sound congested. Good clarity.

MEElectronics M-Duo
-Returned. Similar in a lot of aspects to the SE215 without the great build (mostly due to the cheap cable), average isolation, and slightly less bass heavy sound but still V-shaped. Extended but mildly rolled off treble that I liked quite a bit (cymbals, claps, and snaps were crisp with good decay). 

I get all of my music through Spotify Premium and simply listen through my Nexus 5 or laptop, no DAC or amps. 

Would the RE-400 still be a a top pick here? Thanks in advance for your guys' input! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I would strongly recommend you getting Audio Techica IM70 which I think is very good for electronic music.They are more balanced than the IEMs in your list. I wouldn't suggest RE400 because of its treble roll off.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 8

I would strongly recommend you getting Audio Techica IM70 which I think is very good for electronic music.They are more balanced than the IEMs in your list. I wouldn't suggest RE400 because of its treble roll off.

I don't know much about the IM70 but I would also like an IEM that is good for other types of music, not just electronic. Are they neutral?

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 8
  I don't know much about the IM70 but I would also like an IEM that is good for other types of music, not just electronic. Are they neutral?

Yes, they are not only good for electronic music but also for all genres . You can check this threads.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692770/audio-technica-ath-im70-a-bold-new-direction/600#post_11143256

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698932/audio-technica-im50-im70-discussion-thread/780#post_11141004

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 8

Yes, they are not only good for electronic music but also for all genres . You can check this threads.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692770/audio-technica-ath-im70-a-bold-new-direction/600#post_11143256

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698932/audio-technica-im50-im70-discussion-thread/780#post_11141004

These are definitely in consideration.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations? 

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 8

GR07 Classic Edition. 

Been looking into these as well. The only two things I'm worried about is the level of comfort and sibilance-prone treble.
  How about Phonak Audeo PFE?

I would call them very accurate, light on bass but a great overall sound quality IEMs.

I am now doing research on these, very interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back