Balanced Headphone straight from balanced source
Feb 8, 2009 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

alanbeeb

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the correct forum.... I am sure I cannot be the only person who has tried this but can't find any other reports.

I have a VSE level 5 modded Sony SCD-1 disc spinner, which outputs only 1.12V from its balanced outputs (claimed to be 600 ohm impedence). I think that is a fair bit lower output than most balanced sources.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD650 and zu Mobius balanced cable for it.... I bought this cable 2nd hand a couple of years ago with the intention of one day getting a balanced headphone amp - but have never quite got round to that.

Well, just for fun after a couple of glasses of wine I tried putting the balanced headphone cable straight in to the XLR outputs of the Sony.

And guess what.... its sounds really very good!
atsmile.gif

Except that its just slightly louder than I would like - its OK for most classical recordings but a shade too loud for most rock/pop.

I am wondering if simply running the headphones with a balanced passive preamp or a TVC with balanced I/O might be worthy thing to do.... has anybody tried this?

Also - output impedence..... if the Senns have 300 ohm impedence, surely the output impedence of the Sony at 600 ohms should result in poor sound, weak bass etc.... but this is not the case, its very nice full, rich and even.... but just a tiny shade too loud.

Has anybody else successfully run balanced headphones from the balanced outputs of an active or passive pre-amp?

Any thought/comments much appreciated.

thanks, Alan

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 2
That'll be a no then...

It just strikes me that if you can take the signal straight from a balanced source, and maybe attenuate it a little bit, then why the need for expensive and signal degrading headphone amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back