'balanced' headphone cables + single ended source = no improvement?
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

alwinvrm

New Head-Fier
I know this subject was probably beaten to death and I read about this for the past week but just be sure that the answer is no:

Does it make any sense (except for the nice braided wires) to use a balanced cable
(with e.g. a Hifiman or HD600 with already separate driver cables)
on a single ended amp???

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 10
It'll make no difference whatsoever, unless the balanced cable is different to the stock one.

In some cases it could be worse, as more connectors in the signal path is worse.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 10
Great, thanks for the answer.

I read so many threads about the perceived / measured / hoped for advantages of balanced cables where the test conditions were not clear to me, that a simple NO is so wonderfully clear.

At least I know that this minefield is only worthwhile if I want to future proof my HP or in case I can't resist the cool colors of paracord covered wires and artful braiding.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Great, thanks for the answer.

I read so many threads about the perceived / measured / hoped for advantages of balanced cables where the test conditions were not clear to me, that a simple NO is so wonderfully clear.

At least I know that this minefield is only worthwhile if I want to future proof my HP or in case I can't resist the cool colors of paracord covered wires and artful braiding.

To gain any benefit, you would need a balanced amp. And even then, the perceived differences are usually very small. If the amp in the device, or standalone amp is well designed, there should be no noticeable difference.

The issue is some manufacturers make the balanced output have a different sound to the single ended output, thus the end user thinking it is better.

I use balanced because I have it, not necessarily because it is better, however for harder to drive headphones, most headphone amps output more power in balanced mode so it can be beneficial from that point of view.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 10
To gain any benefit, you would need a balanced amp. And even then, the perceived differences are usually very small. If the amp in the device, or standalone amp is well designed, there should be no noticeable difference.

The issue is some manufacturers make the balanced output have a different sound to the single ended output, thus the end user thinking it is better.

I use balanced because I have it, not necessarily because it is better, however for harder to drive headphones, most headphone amps output more power in balanced mode so it can be beneficial from that point of view.

You made me curious and I read a bit more but only found a 'home test' where, as you indicated, a balanced cable was used on the balanced output and a single trs connector on the jack out of the amp, essentially creating different sources.

Anyway, I am at the start of my audio journey and so far my ears tell me that I am happy and not in need (if need is the correct word) of a balanced amp. I did notice that my ears change though. A headphone that I really liked last week sounds slightly distorted now after having heard another headphone. So I don't know where this will end.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 10
I know this subject was probably beaten to death and I read about this for the past week but just be sure that the answer is no:

Does it make any sense (except for the nice braided wires) to use a balanced cable
(with e.g. a Hifiman or HD600 with already separate driver cables)
on a single ended amp???

Dual entry headphone cables like the HD600 and HE400i already have you on that scenario, ie, you have separate conductors running from L+, L-, R-, and R+ all the way to the plug. The only difference from a balanced cable is that in SE configuration L- and R- are soldered to the same shared GND on the SE plug. Using one that ends in a balanced connector with separate L- and R- terminals and then an SE converter just adds to the bulk, unless your main amp runs balanced and you just have the SE converter lying around for use on a back up or transportable amp.

Mar 17, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Dual entry headphone cables like the HD600 and HE400i already have you on that scenario, ie, you have separate conductors running from L+, L-, R-, and R+ all the way to the plug. The only difference from a balanced cable is that in SE configuration L- and R- are soldered to the same shared GND on the SE plug. Using one that ends in a balanced connector with separate L- and R- terminals and then an SE converter just adds to the bulk, unless your main amp runs balanced and you just have the SE converter lying around for use on a back up or transportable amp.
I played with the thought to make either my Fostex or Hifiman balanced since they will probably both need a cable upgrade anyway at some point in time.

As I understand from you, since I don't plan to get a balanced amp any time soon, it doesn't make sense to make a balanced cable with an additional connector to SE. So I better make a straight SE cable and when needed, I can make another cable for balanced use. Thanks, clear, less connectors is better.

I felt a severe `upgrade urge' and thought that I badly needed these beautiful pro looking and complicated cables with lots of connectors, but sadly you guys talked some sense into me.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 10
So, using all your knowledge do you think it will improve the sound quality of my HD600 if I use a balanced cable with my FiiO Q1 m2(there is an balanced output).
Thanks.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 10
So, using all your knowledge do you think it will improve the sound quality of my HD600 if I use a balanced cable with my FiiO Q1 m2(there is an balanced output).
Thanks.

That's hard to answer. You'll get comparatively a lot more power and theoretically can play 6dB louder at the same THD+N before you clip the signal, but if you're not using at least half that extra output chances are they'd sound the same, ie it's not until you start clipping or distorting with the SE output that you'll notice the benefits of the higher output in balanced mode.

What you should do is try to get the balanced cable for $50 if not for a lot less. This way if you don't hear any significant difference then at least you have a spare cable lying around.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 10
That's hard to answer. You'll get comparatively a lot more power and theoretically can play 6dB louder at the same THD+N before you clip the signal, but if you're not using at least half that extra output chances are they'd sound the same, ie it's not until you start clipping or distorting with the SE output that you'll notice the benefits of the higher output in balanced mode.

What you should do is try to get the balanced cable for $50 if not for a lot less. This way if you don't hear any significant difference then at least you have a spare cable lying around.
Great! I will try it. Thank you for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back