Balanced headphone amp - portable or?
Nov 17, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 8
The balanced DAP includes a balanced amp. Why are you looking for an additional amp? If it's to amp your amp, maybe you should get a more powerful DAP?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 8
The DAP only supplies 150mW @32ohms which I don't believe is enough to run the HD650 properly. Please let me know if I may be wrong on this. I am trying to make a decision on purchasing the HD's or looking for a more inefficient set of headphones.

Thanks for your input

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 8
My Hyby R3 does 112 mW @ 32 ohms balanced and more than enough for the 6xx’s (same as 650’s). So with a balanced cable you should be fine.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 8
The DAP only supplies 150mW @32ohms which I don't believe is enough to run the HD650 properly. Please let me know if I may be wrong on this. I am trying to make a decision on purchasing the HD's or looking for a more inefficient set of headphones.

Thanks for your input

You can't necessarily be sure either way based on the power spec for 32ohms. If the DAP maker doesn't provide a spec for 300ohms, you might want to check the threads here to see if anybody is already using your specific DAC with the HD650/HD6XX. If not, try running the headphones balanced directly from your DAP (if you aren't already) and see if it sounds good to you. How much power headphones need will to some extent depend on both your preferred listening volumes and on the kind of music you listen to.

If you decide you do want an amp and you want to go with a fully balanced setup, you'll need an amp with a balanced input as well as output, which is actually not that common. The recently released iFi xCAN is probably the first place I would look. It's been getting good reviews so far for driving full-sized headphones. A lot of the other options are discontinued (but still available on the used market, like the ALO RX Mk3-B) and/or expensive and in many cases require obscure connectors. Or are enormous (and even more expensive), like the ALO CDM.

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 8
You can't necessarily be sure either way based on the power spec for 32ohms. If the DAP maker doesn't provide a spec for 300ohms, you might want to check the threads here to see if anybody is already using your specific DAC with the HD650/HD6XX. If not, try running the headphones balanced directly from your DAP (if you aren't already) and see if it sounds good to you. How much power headphones need will to some extent depend on both your preferred listening volumes and on the kind of music you listen to.

If you decide you do want an amp and you want to go with a fully balanced setup, you'll need an amp with a balanced input as well as output, which is actually not that common. The recently released iFi xCAN is probably the first place I would look. It's been getting good reviews so far for driving full-sized headphones. A lot of the other options are discontinued (but still available on the used market, like the ALO RX Mk3-B) and/or expensive and in many cases require obscure connectors. Or are enormous (and even more expensive), like the ALO CDM.

Thank You for this valuable info. I have the Senn's on the way and will start with a balanced cable. I really appreciate the time and detail you put into this response.

Rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back