Balanced HD800 cable - looking for solutions
Jan 18, 2009 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

pabbi1

Cavalli Audio Spiritual Advisor
We have a problem, and need a resolution. My ONLY intent of this thread is to resolve the issue for how people with (only) balanced amps will be able to use their HD800 balanced, Day 1.

The sad part of all this is that Senn has finally (from all published accounts) made a decent SE cable - but, I will never be able to use it because I don't have a SE amp.

Facts on the ground: Senn will ship HD800 with single ended terminations only, as it has been in time immemorial, which is to be expected.

But, there has always been the ability to order replacement cables from which can be made any number of alternate terminations, whether dual 3pin XLR, single 4pin XLR, and all sorts of adapter thingies. That dose NOT seem to be the case currently.

I, for one, will not accept an 'adapter thingie', but demand a direct termination to dual XLR, and will do whatever I have to (including hacking the stock cable) to make that happen.

Day 1, you CANNOT hack the SE cable to XLR without waiving the ability to return the unit, for whatever reason, hence just not prudent.

So, what are the options?

1. Have a second cable ordered - which we have no indications whatsoever that this is an option Day 1, nor what that option will cost, IFF available.

2. Get some verification regarding EXACTLY which Lemo connector is being used. Is it indeed the FGG.00.302.CLAD35, FFA.0S.302.CLAZ or something proprietary though made by Lemo? That way we can reterminate something (preferrably an existing aftermarket cable) and be ready Day 1.

Worst of all possible cases is that this will be a replacement part only available through Sennheiser, which will only be available after the units shipped, meaning I will have an (allegedly) awesome headphone, but, not able to use it (without screwing my return options).

Just taking a shot is also not an option - at $20-35 PER CONNECTOR, we need to get this right. I have posted, pm'd, and emailed this query all over, but have had zero response from anything resembling official from Sennheiser. Note even the one claimed option does NOT have actual connectors on their photo.

Guesses will NOT be acceptable, so let's leave the speculation out - 'looks like' or coulda / shoulda / woulda will not help. We need definition, and we need it (at least) a few weeks before the initial deliveries, giving time to actually source the connectors.

Sorry, but time this has it's own dedicated thread. Poke fun at the other aftermarket cables somewhere else.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by murrays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why will you not accept an adapter?

Because many believe that adapters bottle-neck the sound or limit the SQ in order for the headphone to really shine (I could be wrong)

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to simply reterminate the stock cable for a temporary fix until we can discover what plugs they are using.

My thoughts exactly.. it'll take less than 20 minutes if you know how to solder.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 105
Quote:

You should be able to simply reterminate the stock cable for a temporary fix until we can discover what plugs they are using.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Day 1, you CANNOT hack the SE cable to XLR without waiving the ability to return the unit, for whatever reason, hence just not prudent.

If only it could be that easy ...

Since you mentioned about the adapter, what's exactly the adapter you are meaning? I know you don't have any SE amp, so why adapter? Is there any adapter to convert a SE cable to balanced one?

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 105
Quote:

Day 1, you CANNOT hack the SE cable to XLR without waiving the ability to return the unit, for whatever reason, hence just not prudent. Unless Tyll / Headroom, TTVJ and Moon Audio will take them back, after we have hacked on them, which I doubt.

I am absolutely fine with hacking the stock cable, so long as I have one should I sell later, or can return it, should something very unlikely occur.

Obviates the '30 day no questions return', which, I strongly means 'unless you have hacked the cable'.

Nope, no converters that I am aware of, but every 'adapter' thingie has always sounded lesser than the direct reterminations.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 105
Quote:

Day 1, you CANNOT hack the SE cable to XLR without waiving the ability to return the unit, for whatever reason, hence just not prudent. Unless Tyll / Headroom, TTVJ and Moon Audio will take them back, after we have hacked on them, which I doubt.

Obviates the '30 day no questions return', which, I strongly means 'unless you have hacked the cable'.

Nope, no converters that I am aware of, but every 'adapter' thingie has always sounded lesser than the direct reterminations.

Well if you plan on returning them then you are a bit out of luck for the time being. If you just want to be able to try them on a balanced amp you can make a 1/4" to dual XLR adapter... it wont be balanced but you will be able to use them.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 105
That is just a penalty to balanced users - oh, and then they will only sell as balanced, which may be no big deal.

But, the other issue is Day 1 - you can reterminate, but I may, or not be able to. Good thing Alex lives close, and can possibly reterminate them Day 1 - but, many others will have to send them off for retermination, and, thus NOT Day 1. That is the worst part - having a shiny new toy that needs to be sent off for mods.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 105
Quote:

That is just a penalty to balanced users - oh, and then they will only sell as balanced, which may be no big deal.

But, the other issue is Day 1 - you can reterminate, but I may, or not be able to. Good thing Alex lives close, and can possibly reterminate them Day 1 - but, many others will have to send them off for retermination, and, thus NOT Day 1. That is the worst part - having a shiny new toy that needs to be sent off for mods.

Just have them shipped to someone to reterminte then when you receive them it will be Day 1 balanced
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 105
It may also have to do with I would expect a better solution for the flagship product, or, just fewer obstacles. Even more ironic that Jude observed how the standard connectors would please the DIY community - yes, well, if we knew what the part numbers were, and pending their availability.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 105
There is a new poster I saw in the main hd 800 thread that works for Senn. His avatar a pic of the ring driver for the 800. Maybe you could pm him and ask. I think that the pages were in the 80s somewhere on the thread.

I would say that you should be prepared to use an adaptor for a few days. It may negatively affect the sound slightly, but that is better than having to simply stare at them. That or why not borrow an SE amp from a friend? Surely those are decent options for a worst case scenario, but good luck on finding the connectors.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 105
The Cardas connector for the HD580/600/650 JUST showed up after how many years? And you want a full cable for your headphone that you don't even have a correct amplifier for?

You created a thread for THIS?!

Maybe moderators should move this to the cable forum?

It is nobody's responsibility to provide a cable "day 1" for balanced termination...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back