Balanced Equinox 580/600 Cable Now For Sale!
Apr 30, 2003 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dd3mon

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.stefanaudioart.com/Equinoxbalanced.html

Looks like this cable is now available (last couple months it has been "coming soon" on the Stefan Audio Art website). I'd love to read a comparison between the Cardas, Clou and Equinox balanced cables.

I'd love it even more to do the comparison myself with my own balanced souce and blockhead!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

-dd3mon

May 2, 2003 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by venzuel00
WOW, cable is more expensive than actual headphone!!!

much more expensive
frown.gif

frankly, people keep saying Monster cable is horrible overpriced, but one just needs to look at higher-end audiophile cable to see horrible price inflations in what's supposed to be a "competitive" market.

May 4, 2003 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 21
OUCH! Man, I hope the price of these things comes way down soon. Once antness releases his Balanced Gilmore Premier the need for a balanced cable to take full advantage of the balanced section warrants the purchase of a decent set of cables. I doubt that many will be willing to go with THESE balanced cables at that price. $319 for a 9' cable. That is down right insane folks. Now I hope antness stumbles onto some really long spools Barney cables that are begging to be cut to length and terminated for balanced use.

May 6, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
insane?--aren't you the one with those $1000 VD nite cables!?
wink.gif
now THAT'S insane.

Nah, nothing I own is worth less than the cables.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Owning a balanced set of cables that run up to twice as much as my headphones would be insane.

Plus, you're confusing COST and WORTH.
tongue.gif
What they are worth and how much they cost me are VASTLY differnt figures.

May 6, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 21
biggrin.gif
dude.... ALMOST ALL your equipment costs less than your cables. retail anyway.

also, those Equinox cables do not cost more than the hd600s. about 3/4 the price.

...but no, i'm not confusing cost and worth. i have no idea how much your stuff "costed" you. but i do know their retail/street prices. ........................................and you are much more insane than I am!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2003 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 21
That's really expensive. Which amps currently utilises such a cable other than the Gilmour? Would there be a large improvement in sound overthe normal Equinox headphone cable?

May 6, 2003 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 21
The Blockhead is the only other one I know of..

May 6, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 21
Ouch, got to have a huge budget to own either.

May 6, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by jaskin
That's really expensive. Which amps currently utilises such a cable other than the Gilmour? Would there be a large improvement in sound overthe normal Equinox headphone cable?

The BlockHead is the only amp that has a balanced topology for now. Fully balanced ins and outs. Antness is planning to release a Balanced Premier sometime this summer. He lists it on his website, but only his forum has any real info on it. He is still deciding on certain factors like number of ins and outs, does he want to add two separate volume controls or just use one, feedback type and implementation, etc.

May 8, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 21
The price increase for balanced mode does seem excessive.
Presumbaly, the ony difference is that the cable is terminated with two XLR connectors instead of one quarter inch plug. You can get Neutrik XLRs for less than $3 each!

I drive my HD600s in balanced mode directly from a Wadia CD player - highly recommended.

Regards
13th Duke or Wymbourne

May 8, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 21
Yeah, sure. I'll take three
rolleyes.gif

Good job these people aren't in the automobile industry. They'd charge you $35,000 for a 'special' set of tires.

Of course some people will not be able to contain themselves and they will go for it. This is what keeps these companies in business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back