Balanced Dynahi in a cookie can
Dec 26, 2004 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dip16amp

100+ Head-Fier
Here is four Dynahi channels in a Christmas cookie can connected to a DAC1 balanced output. Runs and sounds good so far. I'll probably will add some heat sinks on top and add ventilation holes to it.

dip16ampx40p1.jpg

dip16ampx40p2.jpg

dip16ampx40p3.jpg

dip16ampx40p4.jpg

dip16ampx40p5.jpg

dip16ampx40p6.jpg

dip16ampx40p7.jpg

Dec 26, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 19
Your insane!!!!!

How could you possibly make that amp? With that wiring? In that cookie jar?

Fantastic job.

Dec 26, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 19
Are the transistors attached to the case or something? Doesn't the Dynahi need massive heatsinks?

My mother gave me a tin of cookies the other day and the first thing that came to my mind was "this would make a nice test case for amps"... She thought I was nuts.
cool.gif

Dec 26, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Are the transistors attached to the case or something? Doesn't the Dynahi need massive heatsinks?

Looks like all the output transistors are mounted on the lid. That lid must get pretty toasty!

Dec 26, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

My mother gave me a tin of cookies the other day and the first thing that came to my mind was "this would make a nice test case for amps"... She thought I was nuts.
cool.gif

Each channel has a 5.25 inch steel angle that the transistors are bolted to with a TO-220 heatsink on top of each transistor. The steel angles are also bolted to the top so the whole can radiates heat. I can add more heatsinks on top as needed.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 19
That is the cleanest no-PCB wiring I've ever seen.

Dec 26, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 19
Quite insane. Keep it up.

For your next project how about an uberamp in one of those
25 gallon popcorn cans.

How many hours of labor do you have into this thing?

Dec 26, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

cool.gif

hehe, I've been thinking the same thing as I've been out shopping and seeing all the Christmas tins (with and without cookies).
tongue.gif

Dipamp, That looks wild! I'd love to see more pictues of how you set up the heatsinks (any chance to borrow a better camera?)

Dec 26, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
hehe, I've been thinking the same thing as I've been out shopping and seeing all the Christmas tins (with and without cookies).
tongue.gif

Dipamp, That looks wild! I'd love to see more pictues of how you set up the heatsinks (any chance to borrow a better camera?)

Here is a close up of the heat sink and ventilation holes added.
dip16ampx10p6.jpg

dip16ampx40p8.jpg

Dec 26, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
Quite insane. Keep it up.

For your next project how about an uberamp in one of those
25 gallon popcorn cans.

How many hours of labor do you have into this thing?

Here is an estimate of what I did.
A day to design the socket and component layout.
A day to make the wiring drawing and wire list.
A day of revising those two.
A day to measure all the resistors and transistors.
A few days to solder the sockets together for each channel.
A day to install the resistors and transistors on each channel.
A day to test and adjust each channel without the servo to get less than 10 mV DC offset.
A day to test each channel with the servo.
A day to install the four channels in the cookie can.
A day to wire it up and test unbalanced and then balanced mode.

About 30 days with an average of about six hours a day over the last six weeks.
Thats when I finished the balanced Dynalo which is mounted below the DAC1.

Currently using LM317/LM337 for +/- 30 volt power, so I still have to make a couple of OPA541 power supplies.

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 19
Here's the power supply that goes with the cookie can. It has about 15 hours of time powered up with the amp. I put some cooling fins on the cookie can and it gets up to 147 degrees F in room temp of 68 degress. It takes about an hour to get up to 147 degrees but stays between 145-147 degrees all day. The biggest difference I notice between the balanced dynalo and balanced dynahi is the faster snap in the bass slam and more bass slam when I turn up the volume. Kind of hard not to want to turn it up but it's not good on the ears for long periods of time.

dip16ampx40psp1.jpg

dip16ampx40psp2.jpg

dip16ampx40psp3.jpg

dip16ampx40psp4.jpg

dip16ampx40psp5.jpg

dip16ampx40psp6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back