Balanced dongle dacs?
Mar 16, 2024 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

username643827

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

I'am looking for balanced dongle dacs, or dongle amps call them what ever you like. I have the thruthear crinacle zero red but I'am looking foward to getting better IEMs aswell. I also have a few grados which i'am a pretty big fan of, they are only 38Ohms so basicly anything can run them.

My budget would be max 250 euros.

Defenitly thinking about the AFUL Snowy night has all the connectors i need (4.4mm for my IEMS and 3.5mm for grados) it has plenty of power and i heard its pretty good.

Mar 16, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 4
VE Megatron has 2.5 and 4.4 balanced and 3.5 SE, which can all run simultaneously. $56 shipped to US.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

Reviews are linked in that listing and you can find more elsewhere, like here:
https://headfonics.com/venture-electronics-megatron-review/

Note that it may be too powerful for sensitive IEMs--you'd probably need the impedance adapter that comes with the Zero Red, and even then you'd have to test. Meanwhile, it was fine with my Grados.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 4
The Tanchjim Space is the best USB dongle I've heard out of a dozen or so for the business. The balanced 4.4mm has plenty of power for most headphones and Amirm did a full set of measurements on ASR, they're as good as many desktop setups. I have another one coming Monday and can't wait to use one again. To be honest I'd pass on balanced for IEMs and just get the $9 USA version of the Apple 3.5mm to USB adapter (the European version is only half as powerful). It'll be enough for your Grados and any IEM you get. For the Tanchjim Space, the 3/18 sale with deep discounts and coupons is about to start. I'm sure you could get a great deal on it when it starts.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Hello

I'am looking for balanced dongle dacs, or dongle amps call them what ever you like. I have the thruthear crinacle zero red but I'am looking foward to getting better IEMs aswell. I also have a few grados which i'am a pretty big fan of, they are only 38Ohms so basicly anything can run them.

My budget would be max 250 euros.

Defenitly thinking about the AFUL Snowy night has all the connectors i need (4.4mm for my IEMS and 3.5mm for grados) it has plenty of power and i heard its pretty good.

8381524E-C242-4825-B7FC-4C4898D9C25D.jpeg

7D003460-4576-4A61-B586-23CEC013DB04.jpeg

Snowy night is a good one. Works okay enough with iphone and does not drain much battery comparing to dongles from a few year or so like Hidizs S9 Pro. I even use it with my R3II music player sometimes.

Whether you should get one depends on how much you care and pay attention. In theory, peanut can drive IEM well. But reality is not exactly theory. But you can definitely stick to Apple USB-C dongle if you don’t care that much, because it does not sound bad at all (most of the time).

Btw, it’s not that balanced output would always be superior comparing to single ended output. But when a device features both, it tends to prioritise the balanced output. If you grab something like the snowy night, there is no reason to use 3.5mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back