Balanced DAC question
Nov 29, 2016 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Starburp701

100+ Head-Fier
I'm relatively new to audio (about a year or so into the addiction). I just got a pair of HE-400i's, upgraded from Q701, and started researching the whole balanced cables thing. I like the idea of dedicaton to each ear and understand the true benefits of it but can any DAC (say the Modi Uber 2) send a balanced signal via RCA to XLR to a balanced amp? If not, I'm not going to send the Modi back because I understand the perks aren't overwhelming.. I'm just in the market for a new amp to power these planars and was considering a Gustard h10 because I heard they push them easily and fill them out.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 4
Balanced only helps if there is mains noise (from the DAC/AMP) or when long cables are being used, in which it reduces the noise. Unless the DAC has a crap power supply or you are using long cables (eg over 5 meters at a minimum) stick with unbalanced. Also Balanced can increase distortion with bad designs.

If the dac has a bad enough power supply to warrant the use of balanced, and is at a price at which it does have a balanced output, then personally I would have zero confidence in quality/design of the rest of the electronics.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 4
 can any DAC (say the Modi Uber 2) send a balanced signal via RCA to XLR to a balanced amp? 

For a DAC to send a balanced signal to an amp, it needs to have a balanced analog output stage.  In the Schiit lineup, that means a Jotunheim (it's internal DAC is balanced output), the Gungnir, or the Yggy.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 4
For a DAC to send a balanced signal to an amp, it needs to have a balanced analog output stage.  In the Schiit lineup, that means a Jotunheim (it's internal DAC is balanced output), the Gungnir, or the Yggy.

I see. You read a lot about balanced amps with integrated DACs or just balanced amps, like that Matrix M-Stage. I see what you're talking about on the optional part. Thanks.

Im just going to hold onto the Modituber and im pretty sure I found a used Burson SL Soloist to accompany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back