Balanced DAC or Balanced Amp
Jan 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My $0.02:

I just made a balanced cable on-the-cheap for my HD600s (added a couple XLRs to an HD650 cable) to use with my Apogee Mini-DAC. The output is good, but my first impression is that I slightly prefer the output from the Mini-DAC's headphone out (which I happen to think is already darn good). The HP out seems to have slightly better treble extension.

I don't have a balanced amp, so I can't make much of a comparsion. I'll do some longer listening tests and report back if my initial impressions change.

I also was not too impressed driving the HD600 or HD650 directly from the XLR out of the Apogee. Separation was great, but dynamics and low/high frequency extension were lacking. It works MUCH better to feed the Apogee into a balanced amp.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #32 of 40
I agree with those who have suggested to go with the DAC1. There is much to benefit from in getting a quality source that can be expanded upon in the future if you decide to. Among other things, it will allow you to better gauge changes in your system once you are used to it alone. The DAC1 gives you loads of options, and the internal headphone amp is very good (better than the Lavry's in my experience).

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also was not too impressed driving the HD600 or HD650 directly from the XLR out of the Apogee. Separation was great, but dynamics and low/high frequency extension were lacking. It works MUCH better to feed the Apogee into a balanced amp.

I can now support your statement, after A/Bing a section of Floatation (subsonic grid mix) by The Grid. There's a section around 3:00-3:20 where there are drums firing left and right, followed by a bit of "central" drum and bass. Listening to the Mini-DAC balanced made me go "wow, the drums are REALLY well separated", while listening to the HP out made me think "wow, those drums sound fuller and more musical". Needless to say the HP out wins.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnjee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blanced DAC means DAC with XLR input/output,right?

XLR out - usually the input is digital (coax, optical, USB), unless the DAC is also a pre-amp. Then in "might" have XLR input.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #36 of 40
i would actually say that running the 600/650 directly from the XLR outputs of the apogee mini-dac sounded better than most amps in the $500 range.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnjee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blanced DAC means DAC with XLR input/output,right?

Correct! XLR output is a must, but it can also have XLR input

Quote:

XLR out - usually the input is digital (coax, optical, USB), unless the DAC is also a pre-amp. Then in "might" have XLR input.

A pure DAC, without pre-amp, could have XLR input as well. The Electrocompaniet ECD1 have one, as an example.

1217197236.jpg

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

i was thinking balanced XLR analog, not XLR digital, sorry.

You're totally excused!
bigsmile_face.gif

With all the possible variations out there its not easy to be aware of everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back