Balanced DAC for Apache
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

themagician

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Need your opinions on which DAC and balanced XLR IC should i get to further improve Rays's Apache.

at the moment after reading several reviews and threads. I'm interested to the Stello DA220 MKII.

I know Benchmark DAC1 seems popular here, but i dont need the headphone amp feature and i can get both Dac1 and DA220 MKII at the same price therefore i'm interested more on the DA220.

what about DAC-X from Cyrus Audio, any comments ??

budget will be less than 3k USD.

Any IC recommendation as well to compliment the setup.

My headphone will be Edition 9 recable by Apuresound.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by themagician /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know Benchmark DAC1 seems popular here, but i dont need the headphone amp feature and i can get both Dac1 and DA220 MKII at the same price therefore i'm interested more on the DA220.

I'm confused when I read comments about the DAC1 that include the concern that the internal headamp somehow detracts from the value of the unit.

One might assume that the DAC section of the Stello should be better because Stello isn't spending money on an internal headamp--but since when in hi-end audio do parts costs have a direct bearing on selling price or quality?

Isn't the big question the quality that you perceive from the DAC output?

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 15
I didn't say that it takes away value from it but in lots of reviews it give it a few plus points as vaule for money.

Also i read reviews saying stello is kind of slight upgrade of DAC1, but its not worth the money.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 15
I love my Apache and use Alex's IC's and Gorrila IC's. My primary DAC is the SD Transporter but I'm building a Twisted Pear Opus DAC (which sounds very nice with the Apache).

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 15
I don't have a Transporter, but I agree that the Opus DAC sounds great in balanced mode
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 15
With your generous budget, you could consider the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C.

If size is not an issue, not only do you get a great CD player, you also get a two input DAC thrown in as well. And it sounds great balanced!

The choice of XLR cables is a little trickier as personal preferences have a big impact on the final choice.

For my setup, I have found great synergy with Slinkylinks, Kimber Hero (great value) and Grover.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If size is not an issue, not only do you get a great CD player, you also get a two input DAC thrown in as well. And it sounds great balanced!

Does that mean that it can work with a pc just as any other stand alone dac would?

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbln /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With your generous budget, you could consider the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C.

The choice of XLR cables is a little trickier as personal preferences have a big impact on the final choice.

For my setup, I have found great synergy with Slinkylinks, Kimber Hero (great value) and Grover.

I 100% agree. The 840C is an awesome value, with smooth yet toe-tapping sound, and is very flexible due to the digital inputs.

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 15
840c is definitely the next piece I will be adding to my system. Anagram Technologies makes some of the best sounding upsampling DSPs in the world. The higher the sample rate, the better your brain can decode the spatial information in the audio. So if you are going to upsample (which in my opinion is crucial), you want to make sure the DSP/software is doing it accurately...and Anagram does an excellent job.

The Wadia Series 9 Decoding Computer may be slightly better at it (from what I've read), but at 6 times the price of the Cambridge Audio it should be!
smily_headphones1.gif
And it also upsamples to 2.824 MHz, which is the native SACD/DSD sample rate.

At the moment I'm using the analog outs from my Juli@, using Foobar with SSRC@192kHz Ultra mode, and my VD Master LE 2.0 power cord on the PC. The quality rivals the $5,500 Audiomeca DAC I was using recently, and in many ways is superior. (And it really demonstrates just how moderate/poor the quality of the DAC in the Opera is.... the good doctor really needs to give it a complete overhaul.... however the amp section is very good, when driven with clean power.)

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 15
I have the B-52 and started out with a modified Benchmark. I recently moved on and I feel like up to the Bel Canto DAC3. I like the Bel Canto over the Benchmark but I haven't heard some of the other suggestions.

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 15
I've had the Benchmark DAC1 and Lavry DA10 in your price range with the RSA Apache. With the solid state amp as revealing as the Apache, I would go with the better sounding Lavry. That is one amazing sounding setup.

~GRV

Mar 27, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks vcoheda. I'm not in NY; regrettably Texas, but if you travel you are always welcome (as is anyone on the site) to come by for a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back