Balanced Cables, JBL LSR 308, and my PC
Jun 19, 2015 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ButtersEvilTwin

New Head-Fier
Hello. I just ordered the JBL LSR 308's Studio Monitors for use with my PC system. I am trying to figure out what type of cable I should buy and if I can use a balanced cable.

Technical Details:
The 308's have two input connectors: XLR and 6mm 1/4 input (balanced or unbalanced). My PC motherboard has 6 3.5mm connectors (Line In, Front Speaker Out, Mic In, Side Speaker Out, Rear Speaker Out, Center/Sub Out) or S/PDIF optical.

The cable length will need to be about 15 3/4 ft (would need to buy 20-25ft cable) unless I can cut down the distance to 15ft. Here's my concern, I have been hearing that hiss can be an issue with unprotected cables, especially in longer lengths and when near lots of other electronics. This monitors will be close to me and on when my PC is, so I would rather not hear hiss.

Would I be able to properly connect two cables (1/4 TRS to 3.5mm TRS or XLR to 3.5mm TRS) to my PC instead of using a y cable with one 3.5mm connector, even though there are no designated left and right channel ports? Would these cables remain balanced when they use adapters? If so, is there a preference whether I should use XLR or TRS cables?

One more thing, I have looked over other recent posts that have mentioned getting a DAC and hooking it up that way, but I would rather not due to cost concerns.

Thank you for your time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back