1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Balanced Cable, TRRS & RCA Beginner Questions.

1. Sepidoel
    Hi all,

I'm a novice in audio system and I have an Oppo PM-3 headphone for a few years aready. A friend of mine just gave me an article about balanced cable a few weeks ago and I'm very much interested in it since PM-3 supports balanced system using 3.5mm TRRS (4 poles, 4 conductors, 4 positions, or any other name) with the composition : Tip (L+), Ring (R+), Ring (L-), Sleeve (R-) (please correct me if it in the wrong order). But then I found balanced system really cost a lot, so I want to at least solder the cable myself.

One thing I'm still confused is that while TRRS balanced cabling only have L+, R+, L-, and R- connections (without Ground connection) then why is RCA cabling that have the same connections not a balanced system? If I have a shielded cable can I just screw the shield on the amp's body and got it grounded even on RCA connection?

Or maybe the main question is : is there any workaround to make RCA connection become a balanced system? Because real balance amp is usually very expensive.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Sepidoel
    I forgot. What about car amplifier, can it be used in balanced audio system? I have 4-channels one unused and in my mind maybe I can use it channel 1&2 bridged as left channel and 3&4 bridged as the right channel to drive my PM-3 - still it feels too worrisome to try it out without consultation. In further thinking, is 4 channels car audio head unit be used to power balanced audio system?

:pray: