Balanced blockhead problem ...single ended source
May 20, 2007 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lamboption

New Head-Fier
I bght a headroom blockhead amp 3 years ago ( abt 2 weeks before they were cut in price $1000 and then discontinued...I have the old one...damn)

Now I have changed to a single ended source (sme 30 , manley steelhead) and i emailed Headroom Inc but they have no idea how i can connect it to my balanced neutrik connections on my blockhead, so:

1.can i connect to the balanced inputs somehow ?
2. will it sound bad and maybe thats why headroom dont consider single ended sources ?

May 20, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 11
As far as I understand it you really can only use the blockhead with balanced inputs. It doesn't have any internal phase splitting ability like some of their newer amps. So it's not a matter of sounding bad but just not working properly. There's probably a device out there that will provide a balanced signal from a single ended source but nothing springs to mind .

In all honesty your best course of action might be to think about selling the blockhead and picking up one of their newer amps. They've improved their electronics modules significantly since your generation of amplifier (not that the blockhead is any slouch) and many of their new amps offer both single ended and balanced inputs.

Hope that helps,

Nate

May 20, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 11
You need an splitter from Single ended to balanced, or an amp capable fo doing that internally....

May 20, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Jensen IsoMAx boxes should do the job

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_aud.html

talk to Bill Whitlock at Jensen

simplest would be to add rca/xlr adapter cable to the inputs of the PI2-XX but he may be able to just add RCAs to one at the factory

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/pi2xx.pdf

signal xfmrs don't like any DC so you need to know if the source has DC blocking/coupling Caps - or you may need to add them

searching the forum may get you some more info:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159360

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117132

May 21, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 11
thanks for all that guys , a bit for me to think about and try out.
I have heard that the new modules are better , I think stereophile reviewed my blockhead just after i bght it ( as the new one was being announced) and said there seemd to be a problem with it , so maybe I need the new module or a new amp, hmmm....

May 22, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboption /img/forum/go_quote.gif
, so maybe I need the new module or a new amp, hmmm....

If I were you, I think I'd want to give the Jensen transformers a try. A quick glance had me looking at these, but I'll try to tremember to talk to Joe tomorrow about it. PLease PM me if you want to make sure I do it.

Edit: You better let me check on what's the exact right one on this; I'll check back in tomorrow.

May 22, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 11
i have used cinemag transformers for phase splitting in the past. not 1 complaint for SQ. if you listened to my stax rig at the NYC meet a couple months ago you listened through the transformers.

the 10K jensens would probably be a better choice because most sources can drive them directly. the cinemag's while less expensive have a 600ohm impedance so i added buffers and a PSU to them.

May 22, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 11
If I remver I rember that Davesrose was using the balanced outs of his DAC to his SE source. So you might wan tto ask him what he was using. I rember seeing the CArdas sign on the little adaptors.

May 22, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remver I rember that Davesrose was using the balanced outs of his DAC to his SE source. So you might wan tto ask him what he was using. I rember seeing the CArdas sign on the little adaptors.

running a SE "device" off of a balanced source is easy. you jsut send the "out of phase" pin to ground through a resistor equal to the input impedance of the amp, and the other 2 pins (in phase, and ground) to their respective pins on the RCA. some people do like to straight ground the non-phased signal, others like to let it float. experimentation biased by the fact that some sources burn to the ground when you short the outputs dictates what to do.

getting a single ended signal split to a balanced one with decent quality is all the fun in the world. (note sarcasm) its not actually THAT hard, but to do it well it can get kind of expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back