Balanced Amp and DAC for HD6XX
Jan 5, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 21
No I don’t use stock power tubes. The input tubes just don’t change it as much for me and I’m sure some others will disagree but for me the power tubes hold the most change . I don’t have a lot of them and the stock is not all the same as they ship whatever 6080 is most available and most are not the same as I have a RCA for the 6080 it is fine but do have Tung Sol Chatham 6080 that I think is much better as it is not as warm and then a Tung Sol 5998 that is just awesome it just gives it the most awesome mids and even a bit of soundstage but have to say they mids are just where I’m at just ....

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 21
No I don’t use stock power tubes. The input tubes just don’t change it as much for me and I’m sure some others will disagree but for me the power tubes hold the most change . I don’t have a lot of them and the stock is not all the same as they ship whatever 6080 is most available and most are not the same as I have a RCA for the 6080 it is fine but do have Tung Sol Chatham 6080 that I think is much better as it is not as warm and then a Tung Sol 5998 that is just awesome it just gives it the most awesome mids and even a bit of soundstage but have to say they mids are just where I’m at just ....

I’m a bit afraid to get into tube amps as most of the tubes people recommend like that Tung Sol 5998 are like $100+ for just one, adding a good bit to the cost of the amp.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #18 of 21
I’m a bit afraid to get into tube amps as most of the tubes people recommend like that Tung Sol 5998 are like $100+ for just one, adding a good bit to the cost of the amp.
Yes $100 plus but just a great tube for the Crack.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #19 of 21
I see you have the DX7s and NFB-11.28. Do you like one or the other better? I know the NFB is class A but I couldn’t figure out whether the DX7s is. The DX7s puts out more power at 300 ohms from its balanced than the NFB does (I know its single ended only).
I was looking into the Aune X7s as well since it puts out a whole watt at 300 ohms from its balanced output. You have any experience with it?
I went for the DX7s because I wanted to try out a balanced headphone jack, hopeful that it would drive my HD58X to their best.
I never really directly compared the DX7s to my NFB-11.28, when the DX7s, put my NFB-11.28 to the side and have been using the DX7s ever since,
Been mostly using my HD58X for several months.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 21
I went for the DX7s because I wanted to try out a balanced headphone jack, hopeful that it would drive my HD58X to their best.
I never really directly compared the DX7s to my NFB-11.28, when the DX7s, put my NFB-11.28 to the side and have been using the DX7s ever since,
Been mostly using my HD58X for several months.

I think I’m going to try the DX7s first and then if I want to try something different I will go with a tube amp like the crack. Some say different amps make a significant difference and I haven’t tried many as I have been trying different headphones so I would like to start trying different amps now.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #21 of 21
I think I’m going to try the DX7s first and then if I want to try something different I will go with a tube amp like the crack. Some say different amps make a significant difference and I haven’t tried many as I have been trying different headphones so I would like to start trying different amps now.
I think you'll be very happy with the Topping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back