Balanced 4-Pin XLR to 1/4 TRS Adaptor - Safe or Not?
Dec 9, 2022 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

OnlySoMany

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this has been covered on here before, I did a search and didn't find the answer to my question. Most people were going from 2.5mm or something else.

I am trying to convert some of my cables to be used on the Enluem 23R. But the issue is, most of my high-end headphone cables are terminated in XLR. I did some searching online and found this product:
https://www.audiophileninja.com/product/balanced-to-single-ended-adapter-4-pin-xlr-to-1-4-trs/

In other research, I have seen some people say that it's not ok to do this, as it can damage the amplifier. Others say it will be fine. So who is right? On the vendor's site they claim this

"We only make adapters that convert a balanced headphone cable to be used in a single-ended amp. Don’t ask us to build one that converts single-ended to balanced….. it doesn’t work, and don’t buy one from someone who claims it can…. it could damage your precious gear."

So my guess is that it is safe to go to 1/4 from XLR, but not the other way around, correct? I'd really hate to damage such an expensive amp.

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Yes, if anyone sells you a female 6.35mm single end to xlr male adapter then don't trust them for anything. Single end headphones have to be converted like the guy on Etsy that does it. Balanced headphones into a single ended amp is fine though. My Hifiman he6se comes with an xlr cable, but also a matching adapter to single end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back