Balance problem with sr-60's?
Apr 16, 2004 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vovchanchyn

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of Grado Sr-60's for use with Rio Karma/ampless.

I've notices that the vocals and some of the highs seem to be louder on the right earphone, but the bass seems to be even on both sides. A friend confirmed this.

I cant figure this out because the sound through my Koss KSC35's seems absolutely even. So is it posible that the Grados may have uneven sound levels in the vocals and highs but not in bass?

Thanks for any help!

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 13
Nah, you probably got a bad unit that's all. Try hooking it up to another source and see if the samething occurs. That should narrow down the culprit, and you can RMA it.

Apr 16, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 13
You should check your source and interconnects. If the sound is off balace, it should be the whole spectrum, and not just the highs.

Apr 16, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 13
The problem could be how the recording was mixed. Myabe it is harder to tell on the KSC-35's, but easier to discern where the sounds are localized on the Grados?

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the replies.

I've tried three different sources with the same results with my Grado's so I dont really think its a hardware problem.

I tried that binary source and it sounds pretty even to me, I've also been beginning to think that maybe the recordings are that way. I've just never noticed it before.

Any other binary Mp3's that I could try?

Have you uys ever noticed this in any recordings that you have?

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 13
You should return it if it is unsatisfactory. Make sure you try a few other headphones in the Grado and other manufacturers, though. The source is important - does it do the same with CDs and radio?

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 13
Send it back I say. That would drive me batty. We get threads like this about Grado headphones every now and then. They obviously don't always match the drivers as well as their literature would have you believe. If you can get a pair of SR60s with matched drivers then you have a really nice set of headphones, basically $200 or $300 sound quality for $60 or $70, IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by vovchanchyn
Thanks for the replies.

I've tried three different sources with the same results with my Grado's so I dont really think its a hardware problem.

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 13
I have a Phillips portable CD player and a Sony 5 dvd dream system and I get the same results from CD's.

The recording style may have something to do with it but I still do not really think that it would be this noticable.

I really like the sound of the Grado's, but I dont think that I'm going to be getting anything new for at least six months. I plan on buying a IHP-120/140, Headsave Elite ,and either Sen hd580's or Beyer Dt880's.

I'll be sending the Grado's in because this will drive me up the wall until I have them checked by Grado.

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 13
You can't just exchange them for a new pair? That's what I'd try to do. Most of the SR60s don't have the balance problem, honest, but I've read enough of these threads to believe that there are a decent number of bad apples out there...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I'll be sending the Grado's in because this will drive me up the wall until I have them checked by Grado.

Apr 16, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 13
I actually bought them from headroom.com and my 30 days are up; I waited passed the 30 days because I thought the 60's would break in.

I called them and they said that they would take them back anyways. Great service.

The guy I talked to said that the 60's have drivers that didn't make it into the sr-80's batch. Ever hear of this before? or is this a sales pitch?

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 13
This is done in the microchip industry, and probably many other manufacturing industries. CPUs and memory that can't make a certain speed grade are sold as lower-speed. There's less waste this way, and your company gets a cheaper computer
biggrin.gif
. Obviously, we're mostly in a group that wants the best
very_evil_smiley.gif

So it makes sense that Grado does the same thing... why manufacture 2 different sets of drivers, when you can produce one line, and sort by quality control? Still, the variation should not be extreme; I'm sure Grado would have exchanged them if they were selling them directly. Good luck with your replacements
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 13
Yup, headroom service is excellent, no two ways about it.

About the drivers -- yeah right. Sounds like a bunch of silliness to me (to keep it clean). The balance problem has happened to headfiers who had bought much more expensive Grados. There's no explaining it away, or implying it only happens with SR60s, it's a big problem.
wink.gif

Quote:

I actually bought them from headroom.com and my 30 days are up; I waited passed the 30 days because I thought the 60's would break in.

I called them and they said that they would take them back anyways. Great service.

The guy I talked to said that the 60's have drivers that didn't make it into the sr-80's batch. Ever hear of this before? or is this a sales pitch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back