Balance L R channels in Foobar Help
Dec 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JediGhostdog

New Head-Fier
I believe I have problems with my right ear and it just doesn't seem to pickup sounds as well anymore. This can be annoying as with headphones the sound is uneven. I am trying to find a way to give a little more power to the right chanel in foobar with windows 7 but I am having trouble. I use an HRT Microstreamer right now with Wasapi. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 13
You should be able to adjust balance in the properties for the playback device in Windows. Right-mouse click on the speaker in the lower right corner and select "Playback devices"

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 13
I found it in the realtek audio volume control, but the balance button does not appear on the same screen when adjusting the USB device (microstreamer volume properties) Is their a certain plugin for Foobar that I am missing?

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 13
Thank you I will look into it when I get off work although maybe it has to be within foobar because the microstreamer acts separately from windows sound devices. Thank you for your replies.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 13
From what I find with Google, it does not appear that Foobar has a balance control. I'm pretty sure the Microstreamer should still appear in the list of Playback Devices in Windows. Otherwise, any sounds generated by windows would not be sent to the Microstreamer.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 13
Yes it definitley shows up in Playback Devices and has the volume option in the Levels section inside properties, but unlike the realtek HD audio speakers on the asus. there is not a "balance" adjuster next to the volume. When adjusting the balance of Realtek it does not seem to correspond to the USB device speakers (Microstreamer)

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 13
I understand - that's unfortunate, you would think there would be a software app for controlling the Microstreamer that would allow you to have some control. The standard Windows volume control works, correct? Well, a balance control is just adjusting the volume of each channel independently.

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 13
I have found an equalizer plugin called Graphic equalizer as a temporary solution that allows L and R volume control separately.Raising the right channel 1.5 Db seems to work out pretty well. I will try out the that winaero link as well. Overall I wish there was a simple balance slider in Foobar, I think Itunes has one i'm not sure. It really is a luxury problem though.  I could have no hearing  in one of my ears (or none at all) and that would suck immeasurably so there is always gratitude to be had.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 13
I have found an equalizer plugin called Graphic equalizer as a temporary solution that allows L and R volume control separately.Raising the right channel 1.5 Db seems to work out pretty well. ...

Yes, that plugin works great for that and allows finer adjustments of balance than the windows control. Do you think it would be better for you to lower the left channel 1.5dB rather than raising the right channel or would it matter? Just asking because I have the opposite problem. Due to hearing and/or room issues, my stereo image is skewed to the right a bit.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Well, I'm not sure. I believe it all comes down to fine tuning and messing around with it. Honestly I searched everywhere for a while and it's too bad that this was the only solution I could find for foobar. Do you notice any change in the music with the equalizer plugged in at all? Like does it flatten the eq automatically or does the EQ only take effect when you adjust the frequencies? I am sorry that you have a similar problem with your ears. I am hoping that eventually they will even out. Doc says I just have amazing hearing and due to that I can notice things like this. Blessing and a curse in this case I guess. Next time I get into listening I will fine tune it more. I believe I may have lowered the left channel a little bit as well as raised the upper.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 13
I use it only as a balance control only and all the frequency sliders are at 0. So my speakers' frequency response is not affected. I don't notice any obvious difference in the sound when I use it to adjust the volume in one channel by about 1.5 dB. The only thing I notice is that the stereo image becomes centered. My stereo preamp doesn't have a balance control so I need to do it like that. I might add a direct box to my audio system (I use an Aphex 124A in my video system) and if I got another used Aphex 124A via EBay, I could use the independant channel level controls on the front. In the long run, that might be better, doing it in hardware rather than in software.

I might try cutting the louder sounding channel by 1.5dB rather than boosting the quieter channel like I'm doing right now...to see if I notice a difference in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back