bait-and-switch sellers really annoy me
Mar 18, 2010 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
question: when a seller shows a picture of an item, names its brand and yet sends you something that does not match either, isn't that fraud?

I just ordered some UPS batteries (large heavy 12v lead acid things) and what arrived was not the brand name that I had paid for. I picked this seller (amazon seller, btw) *because* he showed the brand of battery I know and trust.

it amazes me that sellers get off doing this and think nothing of it! ;(

I'm waiting for amazon to help with this; but it annoys me that I wasted time waiting on a shipment of goods that are not what I had bargained for and now have to spend time to undo this.

(I'm mostly just venting right now...)

...probably not unlike that set of batteries they sold me (lol).

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 7
It is fraud, you should be able to successfully dispute the purchase through Amazon and get your money back.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 7
first thing I did was to do a screen capture. things can, uhhh, go away at any time on the wild wild web.

yes, I can probably get my money back. spending time waiting for UPS to come by, having to get a call tag, dealing with the company. all totally not necessary if the seller only didn't try to 'ride' on the brand name and substitute some generic in its place.

he'll pay for return shipping, no doubt. I'll demand that much. but he'll continue on defrauding other customers since I'm pretty sure amazon won't put a stop to this.

what I might do is call the real battery company and sick them on this guy. THEY may want to clear their name and they have more time to do it 'right'...

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, that is definitely fraud.
The item received should be in the exact same condition as shown in pictures and/or described in text. Anything else is not right!

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 7
I called the real battery company (the one that the fakers are using for their name) and the guy was interested in getting info about this seller. we'll see how it progresses. they have to defend their corp name against dillution (I think that's the term?).

a few months ago, I got taken for another battery incident (this time it was an ebay sale). same basic problem: they showed one item and described it yet sent another one figured 'its all the same to the buyer'. but its not!

this is why I went ape-nuts when I got a fake instead of a real one. I just WENT thru this same deal (laptop battery) and was in NO MOOD to go thru this BS again.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 7
It happens a lot,I have ordered HD's on line and been sent a different make/size etc,and the latest was a purchase on ebay where he wanted more money as he had quoted the wrong postage,he was told where to put it but the HD was another matter as they wanted me to pay return postage for there mistake
Won in the end but it took nearly 3 weeks to sort out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back