Bah hahaha say's the madman- my 325/beyer mod,, you'll thank me eventually 56k no-no
Mar 7, 2007 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

jrussell6

100+ Head-Fier
maybe..

So folks, i've been talking about how my 325's seemed so uncomfortable after getting a pair of dt770's,, so i've frankencrafted a cheap easily reversable solution to that problem...

notice: craftmanship is not great as this was a mock up, i will be experimenting with other materials (specifically neoprene) and slightly tweeked measurements and porting concepts..

materials/tools
1/4 inch black foam-core
dt 770 beyerdynamic earpads
x-acto knife
razorblade
compass
calipers (you won't need em cause i'll tell you the sizes)

THE Beginning
one night (last night) i drunkenly placed my 325's with pads ontop of the beyer pads, and it sounded thin and not great, but it was damn comfortable...and, as i pushed/mushed the drivers closer to my ears the sound got better and better, till i thought it was simply a bassier comfortable 325
DSC01824.jpg

the process tonight

i first measured the grado housing (the part that holds the foam)and it comes out to 1.98 inches on the dot..
DSC01854.jpg

then i measured the similar part on the beyers, which comes out to a perfect 4 inches,,, (no pic),,

so... on your sheet of foam core, you cut out a donut,,,
id = 1.9 inches (the ommited .08 of an inch will act as spring tension)
od=4 inches
DSC01856.jpg

then useing your razorblade, you will bevel the outside edge so that the beyer pad will have a lip to sit on.
DSC01857.jpg

then you will cut the donut so that you seperate it enough to get it on the driver housing...
DSC01852.jpg

slowly work the foam around the lip on the housing till it sit's nicely...
DSC01847.jpg

then once it's on, you work that beyer pad on there,
DSC01845.jpg

WHOAAA,, it's happening, and i looks decent...
DSC01833.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

ON THE HEAD THEY GO
DSC01829.jpg

ok, they're comfy, that's for damn sure,
but how do they sound????
DSC01826.jpg

The sound is great, a little bassier, more soundstage (meaning that it has some now) and still rocken, alot warmer. however,,, there is a little constipation somewhere, and i will address this with future tweaking, basically i think i need to port the foam core by drilling a few small holes around the centerish area of the donut... but i can't run the drill press this late. also, as always with my 325's, position of the drivers is key, this required a little headband bending, and some fidgeting.

I'm affectionately calling them my Grado C(heap) Pads, but i don't want to piss of sponsors,, so for all intensive purposes we'll call em monster or madman pads.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

somebody try it out and tell me what you think... i'm going to have to wait till i find more beyer pads to experiment with.(i don't want to screw up my only pair, i like my 770's)

now, here's some grado p o r n that i made while i was waiting for photo's to up load....if you want any of em at full res, pm me and i'll email em to you.
DSC01840bw.jpg

DSC01841bw.jpg

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 22
Outstanding work! The only thing i'd do different is to use an x-acto knife or other hobby knife to cut out the flange without having to break the circle.

fwiw my calipers say the Beyer flange is 100mm, which is basically the same as 4 inches. Close enough for government work at least. I only know this because I'm working on a truly sick frankenphone that will either be a big waste of time or a stroke of inspired genius.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Outstanding work! The only thing i'd do different is to use an x-acto knife or other hobby knife to cut out the flange without having to break the circle.

fwiw my calipers say the Beyer flange is 100mm, which is basically the same as 4 inches. Close enough for government work at least. I only know this because I'm working on a truly sick frankenphone that will either be a big waste of time or a stroke of inspired genius.

ack,,, you caught me,,, my old german machinist boss would hang me, hahaha, i really didn't measure that part perfectly, i just eyeballed it as the pads have a little stretch and play, but the plastic houseing doesn't,

are you suggesting cutting the flange off the grado housing,, i don't think that's a good idea,,, and if you didn't break that circle you couldn't get it around the lip of the grado to sit in the pad holder area.?,,,,

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 22
nice.

mmmm... grado po*rn.

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 22
some have asked me if this works for other grado models, i would say that it probably does, but i haven't tried

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 22
It should work - I'm pretty sure all Grado models, from the HP series all the way up to the RS woodies have the same diameter "pad holder".

Great work though - could this be a cheap alternative to C-pads? Let us know how the porting goes!

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayehs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's awesome! esp. since c-pads are so expensive!

I wish i could try it but i don't have any extra ear pads
frown.gif

oh i love those 325 pictures! i already put it up as my wallpaper
biggrin.gif

Yeah those upclose ones are sexy mmmmm...oops did i say that out loud
eek.gif

*edit upclose ones of the headphones not you.*

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 22
YOU MEAN TO TELL ME I DON'T LOOK SEXY WITH THOSE THINGS ON??? maybe that's why my girl left me, oh well, jayehs,,, if you send me your email address, i will send you them at full rez, it will look alot better, i've already sent them to a few people, they're 8 mpx and highly compressed to fit on here. i've got one up as my wall paper as well.

yeah, c-pads are in line with 200 doller ipod line outs in my book,, great if you've already got a 30,000 doller rig.

but i love these, i've been listening to them all night,, don't have time to port right now, but spring break is coming up, it'll be me, my headphones, and stareing at pictures of stupid blondes getting naked in panama.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*edit upclose ones of the headphones not you.*

LOL
biggrin.gif
jrussell died a little inside.

Hmm i think i'm gonna go home and try this with my sony v500 ear pads which has been collecting dust for the past 5 years....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back