Baffling...
Jan 2, 2006 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Over the past year or so I have noticed that music in my right ear started sounding "dull" compared to the left ear. This was pretty disturbing because I am VERY worried about premature hearing loss. I have always been careful but I guess listening to headphones for years together DOES accellerate hearing loss and tinnitus no matter how careful you are.

I've decided to try and mitigate the problem by using earplugs whenever I can and getting my ears checked by a professional.

Here is the funny thing though - the Grados can be reversed between L and R pretty easily (just swap em around). I tried them with the correct orientation first and sure enough - the L side sounded clearer and louder than the right.

I swapped them around the now the sound was perfectly balanced!!
confused.gif

Thats not right - now the sound should have been clear and loud in the L as before right? Why does it sound perfectly balanced now?

I swap them around again and this time the R side sounds clearer and louder
confused.gif
eek.gif

What What What!?!?!
eek.gif

I am seriously freaking out now...just a few minutes back I wrote to agile_one that the micromega's remote control was REFUSING to work with any other brand of batteries other than Duracell...brand new Energizer and Rayovak AAAs summarily rejected by the remote control!!! Insert new Duracells and it works like new...insert the old Duracells and it works like new again
eek.gif
confused.gif

I suspect I have a poltergeist in da house!!

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 19
Wanna hear something else weird? Normally when I listen to circumaural phones, my left ear is louder than the right. Not so strange? Well, when I flip em around (L->R R->L), the left the side is completely silent.

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Wanna hear something else weird? Normally when I listen to circumaural phones, my left ear is louder than the right. Not so strange? Well, when I flip em around (L->R R->L), the left the side is completely silent.

Ouch... I'd go find an audiologist and get your hearing checked.

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Ouch... I'd go find an audiologist and get your hearing checked.

I know I should, but I kinda no longer have health insurance, so I can't even hit up the local community health center.

Still, it doesn't make sense? when the phone is worn correctly, my left ear is probably over-sensitive (or my right ear half-deaf). I can hear the music loud and clear. Why does the sound just not be there when I flip the headset around??

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbluewater
Sounds like both you guys need to call Exorcisms 'R Us
biggrin.gif

Wait . . . you serious? Th-there's such a place? Why was I never informed?!
mad.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Wait . . . you serious? Th-there's such a place? Why was I never informed?!
mad.gif

There is a standardized entrance test before you can be admitted there.

Q1. Do you own a HE-90 + HEV-90
Q2. Do you have interconnects that cost more than your car
Q3. Did you sell your wife's wedding ring and replace it with a chinese lookalike in order to further your audio goals?
Q4. Did you build a new room with a dedicated 20A power line purely for audio?
Q5. Have you installed security systems around the audio room while the Ferrari is parked on the street corner under the moonlight?

More than 1 YES answer guarantees admission...

Fees will be 1 HE-90 + HEV-90
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 19
gsferrari, I observed this also a few months ago and so have a few of my friends.

I'm still trying to figure it out, maybe because of the way I drive? maybe because of the way cds are recorded?

I don't know yet.
confused.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

I am going for one of these on Mon Jan9th at SensaPhonics HQ in Chicago, along with the mold impressions and stuff.

I asked hear if My right ear is different then my left can you "tune them for a more equal balance? (as in the sx2's)...she said yes...

I am thinking these sensa's are going to be like prescription eye glasses..lol

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 19
I've been losing high frequency hearing in my left ear for over 30 years, which was confirmed in my annual hearing exam at work. Each year a steady regression of hearing in my left ear was recorded. I first noticed it around 1972 when I no longer heard the ticking of a nearby clock when sleeping on my right side. Yet, today I can still hear "normal" sounds, at normal levels, in my left ear; e.g., regular male and female speech at normal volume, as well as regular speech over the phone. Interestingly, I've been told by several of my age-mates that they also have a noticeable loss of hearing in their left ear. Now, here is my probably ridiculous theory regarding the cause of lost hearing in the left ear. I think that it could be cumulative hearing damage that results from driving for decaded with the driver's car window open, thereby exposing the left ear to high wind noise, etc.. Of course, the situation may be reversed in Britain, since drivers sit on the right side of the car. I wonder whether there is a predominance of right ear hearing loss in Britain, while perhaps there is a predominance of left ear hearing loss in the US.

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I've been losing high frequency hearing in my left ear for over 30 years, which was confirmed in my annual hearing exam at work. Each year a steady regression of hearing in my left ear was recorded. I first noticed it around 1972 when I no longer heard the ticking of a nearby clock when sleeping on my right side. Yet, today I can still hear "normal" sounds, at normal levels, in my left ear; e.g., regular male and female speech at normal volume, as well as regular speech over the phone. Interestingly, I've been told by several of my age-mates that they also have a noticeable loss of hearing in their left ear. Now, here is my probably ridiculous theory regarding the cause of lost hearing in the left ear. I think that it could be cumulative hearing damage that results from driving for decaded with the driver's side car window open. Of course, the situation may be reversed in Britain, since drivers sit on the right side of the car. I wonder whether there is a predominance of right ear hearing loss in Britain, while perhaps there is a predominance of left ear hearing loss in the US.

Makes sense. I have a vintage VW Beetle which after restoring I drive everywhere (+/-400 miles a week). Even though it has A/C (yes it does and it works) I usually drive with the window down.

I am pretty sure most of the guys here have a newer car (say 1990 or newer) and they drive it with the windows up. If they did a test, drive the car on the highway (freeway for you in the west coast
biggrin.gif
) you will be surprised on how loud the world is outside of your car.

The difference is more dramatic the better the car is, for example in my in law's Honda CRV the car is noticably louder with the windows up than my wifes Lexus. So when I put the window down in the Lexus the loudness of the outside world is much more noticable than when I do it in the CRV.

Just my $0.02

Jan 4, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 19
mike - I think your argument is entirely plausible. But the problem is...I was driving in a RHD car in India for 5 years before coming here. No problems...I came here and got into headphones and all the problems have started since then.

I believe that the headphones result in hearing loss irrespective of listening volumes. Something about the pressure around the ears and ON the ears (in some cases), direct sonic pressure on the ear...

Dunno...have to see an audiologist...

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #15 of 19
There is a radio talk show host named Imus, who frequently says that he's lost much of his hearing because of wearing headphones for many hours each day. But, if headphones cause significant hearing loss, shouldn't the loss occur about equally in both ears, rather than predominantly in one ear? In my case, I've been using headphones for decades, yet I can still hear it every time that my wife cusses under her breath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
mike - I think your argument is entirely plausible. But the problem is...I was driving in a RHD car in India for 5 years before coming here. No problems...I came here and got into headphones and all the problems have started since then.

I believe that the headphones result in hearing loss irrespective of listening volumes. Something about the pressure around the ears and ON the ears (in some cases), direct sonic pressure on the ear...

Dunno...have to see an audiologist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back