badly produced albums that you love
Apr 18, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 44
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Not that it's badly produced because of clipping, low dunamic range, it's simply 40 years old, raw and dirty, but i absolutely love that oldschool drum sound without any triggers etc, there's a great deal of stereo separation which is usually unpleasant to listen to with phones, but on this album it's effective in making the bass lines stand out against the guitar.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #17 of 44
I'm certainly not a pro audiophile (hehe) so these are just the ones that to me to not sound too good. Also, um, suffice to say I didn't rip these myself, so it could be that.

Beautiful Tragedy - In This Moment
Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
Electric Ladyland - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
In a Glass House - Gentle Giant (seems to have a ton of sibilance)
Moving Waves - Focus
The Singles 1992-2003 - No Doubt
Queen II - Queen
Are You Dead Yet? - Children of Bodom
All We Know is Falling - Paramore
Nursery Cryme - Genesis (not terrible but it has some quirks)

There are probably more I'm forgetting.

Apr 18, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 44
i know Nigel Godrich has a reputation, and i LOVE most of his productions, but 'OK Computer' I think is badly mixed/mastered

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #20 of 44
BlackSabbath_Vol.png

Love the album. Sounds like s-h-i-t, though (even the remastered version).

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. great deal of stereo separation which is usually unpleasant to listen to with phones...

Matter of opinion - I love lots of hard L/R pans.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #22 of 44
Totally agree on 'Black Holes...' I'm hoping their next one receives better treatment. '(What's the Story) Morning Glory' by Oasis would be my prime example. Love the tunes, but can be painful to listen to.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooo!…nice choice. Haven't heard it in well over a decade (I still play the first one, Marshall Crenshaw, from time to time), so I couldn't honestly comment on the production.

The recent disc that caused the most sonic handwringing on my part was Oceans Apart by the Go-Betweens. It didn't sound quite right until I completely overhauled my system and figured out how to tweak it. I never stopped playing it, though.

That's a great album, easily the equal of anything they've done, although I never noted the poor production. Funny you should mention them, because last night I was playing Robert Forster/Grant McLennan The Best of the Solo Recordings 1990-1997 on my new HD 650s, and both disks sounded way too bright. It was almost painful. So I think that collection deserves to be mentioned in this thread too, although I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a stellar compilation of their respective solo recordings. The McLennan one of course gets the nod.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BlackSabbath_Vol.png

Love the album. Sounds like s-h-i-t, though (even the remastered version).

you're right, i have it on vinyl, it's a great album but it sounds terrible, the worst sabbath release production-wise ( next to born again, which is also musically awful ), it sounds muddy, guitars lack impact, nothing like the fantastic fat, bassy, distorted tone on Master of Reality.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #26 of 44
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

Oh, and any of those awful old Beatles stereo recordings where the vocals are in one ear and the instruments in the other.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to go with the classics in the "poorly produced but nevertheless seminal album" category:

Iggy & the Stooges Raw Power (original mix)
Marshall Crenshaw Field Day

x2!! It's interesting, because some of MC's later stuff - think Downtown and Mary Jean (and 9 others) - are produced VERY well IMHO. I'm frankly looking forward to the release of his first S/T album on MOFI in the next few weeks. I'm hoping that they'll pick up a few more while they're at it.

BTW - WRT The Stooges, I found that the "new" mastering of Fun House did some very good things for that album (again IMHO).

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #28 of 44
My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is my favorite album of all time, and is far from being HiFi, although, this is somewhat different from being well produced, which it certainly is.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92. All sorts of clipping on this album. An incredible album though, so much depth and atmosphere. Buy it immediately if you haven't already.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a great album, easily the equal of anything they've done, although I never noted the poor production. Funny you should mention them, because last night I was playing Robert Forster/Grant McLennan The Best of the Solo Recordings 1990-1997 on my new HD 650s, and both disks sounded way too bright. It was almost painful. So I think that collection deserves to be mentioned in this thread too, although I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a stellar compilation of their respective solo recordings. The McLennan one of course gets the nod.

Just found this in an old thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that Oceans Apart was mastered so badly and received so many complaints that they apologized and remastered and reissued it without so much compression and clipping.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Bloody Valentine's Loveless is my favorite album of all time,

I stumbled across the below url one day and thought at first it was an ad for a MBV concert DVD in 3D like U2 has just recently done but now I see it is just an add for some horror movie.
frown.gif

My Bloody Valentine 3D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back