badluck
May 30, 2006 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Kasp3r

500+ Head-Fier
I guess I have bad luck trying to find a job for summer. I have already applyed @ randels twice this year, HEB 3 weeks ago, Costco's and I am starting to run dry on ideas. I am 16 but I dont have a car, so I am trying to find a place near by me that is hiring.

Sucks too, I know alot about computers (or more then average, but no A+
frown.gif
)but there isnt any computer repaire place nearby me! Execpt one, and he works by himself, already tried to get a job there.

I guess I have badluck or bad timing. I dunno it is just a bad experience for my first job related experience. But I know other people had it much worse, so I wil keep trying.

I wonder if anyone is in the same problem I am.
evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 24
I hear ya!

Catch 22, they want someone with experience, and in order to get experience you need a job, and then you can't find a job, therefore no experience...

Where do you live? Key word? "Net Work". Someone here (Head-Fi)might live near you and may know a opening. A lot of retailers hire temps for the summer. Doesn't your school have any leads? Local youth centers? Did you flip through local papers? Job boards?

If you are good with computers, are there any Best Buys, Circuit City or Compusa near by?

Ask parents, relatives, friends to help you find a job. Where are your friends working? Can you teach summer camp? Life guard?

There are jobs out there...I don't know what $$ you are looking for or what kind of jobs you prefer.

Just don't give up...I have been there, and looking for a job is a job unto itself. Try every retail outlet if not, there is lawn mowing, paper routes, even bagging at the grocery stores...Trust me, I have done it all and they are not half as bad as they sound (except, I will NEVER clean toilets again...).

May 30, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 24
haha clean toilets, hey if the pay is good
smily_headphones1.gif

I live in Austin,Texas atm. You know I only really wanted to get a job, once I starting posting at Head-fi
rolleyes.gif
dont know why
tongue.gif

I applied at HEB for bagging, and randels and mabey costco but noo! nada

I tried my best but I dont think I can get a ride, my mom is single and goes to work very early. My next door neighbor makes salsa for a living. And my friends live on the onther side of the town, and dont even work haha. I may try to go work at sonic but I really hate fastfood..but I dont know

I dont think bestbuy or compusa would hire someone with no A+ certication.

May 30, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 24
You can start your own business if you don't have a car. I work as a cashier but I also make Koa boxes and pens in my dad's shop, so the combination of the two rakes in a decent amount of green. IDK I got my job the first time I tried so I can't really help you there, I got a job about three blocks away from my house but I still drive there, so not having a car must blow.

May 30, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 24
As a rule people that work at Best Buy or Circuit City are idiots. There is no way they have A+ certification.

Fast food places are always hiring, beggars can't be choosers. There has to be one close by, they are everywhere.

You say your mom leaves for work very early. Prohibitively early or too early for you to get up during the summer.

For a suggestion I'm working at my school cleaning and repairing computers, running wire, ect this summer. If you aren't to much of a trouble maker you might be able to see if your school is hiring.

Edit: You can get pretty far on a bike, so expand your search if you haven't done so.

May 30, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
As a rule people that work at Best Buy or Circuit City are idiots. There is no way they have A+ certification.

Fast food places are always hiring, beggars can't be choosers. There has to be one close by, they are everywhere.

You say your mom leaves for work very early. Prohibitively early or too early for you to get up during the summer.

For a suggestion I'm working at my school cleaning and repairing computers, running wire, ect this summer. If you aren't to much of a trouble maker you might be able to see if your school is hiring.

Edit: You can get pretty far on a bike, so expand your search if you haven't done so.

Yeah seriously, I don't know how those people can get jobs. I went in on black friday last year to pick up a keyboard/mouse set and it took the woman literally twenty minutes to ring me up. If you can't speak english and you can't work a register, you probably shouldn't be working at a high volume store like Compusa.

May 30, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam

Yeah that is a good idea, mabey I can get a job at my school. I took a class for 2 years that fix teachers computers and student computers. My mom leaves for work at 6am and most places dont even open till 8.

btw if there was a compusa near by me I would work my ass off
biggrin.gif

There is a bestbuy about 1 mile from my house, mabey I can get a bike and ride up their. I would hate to ride a bike their in 90 degree heat and show up for work alll sweaty and nasty
biggrin.gif
I dont think they hire under 18 for computer repair.

Hey if anyone in Austin is hiring, a desperate hardworker is here
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 24
I have been to Austin several times. Fun city! Great college town...oops...more competition.

TONS of kids were on skateboards...can't you skateboard to work?

I am pretty sure a lot of kids go home for the summer for their summer jobs back home and there are lots of vacancy. If you are not that selective, I am sure you can pick and choose any job you want. Your mom goes to work at 6 A.M.? A lot of jobs (hospitals, hotels, restaurants~ breakfast, airport, office building...) are open at 6... Look around and you will be surprised how much traffic there is at 6 A.M. Hey Starbucks...

Anyway, Austin being the headquarters for Dell, the Live Music Capital of the World, Capital of Texas and a major college town... you should NOT be discouraged.

PM me if you are still frustrated and I will do whatever I can to assist. Did you try the local record stores? I know Walmart is always hiring...

Good luck!

May 31, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Yeah seriously, I don't know how those people can get jobs. I went in on black friday last year to pick up a keyboard/mouse set and it took the woman literally twenty minutes to ring me up. If you can't speak english and you can't work a register, you probably shouldn't be working at a high volume store like Compusa.

Bleh, you don't need to know MUCH to work at any computer store. You only need certifications and stuff like that if you plan to work in a company, or something more software oriented. Honestly, a lot of people think they know a lot about computers because they know hardware, but knowing the current name of cpus on the market and how to benchmark / test hardware doesn't mean your skilled, neither does putting parts together. If you can do that much, you can pretty much get a job. I have never met a person at any computer store who could talk real electronics, and how things ACTUALLY work. If you want a good computer job, just begin reading all the books you can find (on whatever your interests are), and get certifications for them, regardless of if they are useless or not later in life.

May 31, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Bleh, you don't need to know MUCH to work at any computer store. You only need certifications and stuff like that if you plan to work in a company, or something more software oriented. Honestly, a lot of people think they know a lot about computers because they know hardware, but knowing the current name of cpus on the market and how to benchmark / test hardware doesn't mean your skilled, neither does putting parts together. If you can do that much, you can pretty much get a job. I have never met a person at any computer store who could talk real electronics, and how things ACTUALLY work. If you want a good computer job, just begin reading all the books you can find (on whatever your interests are), and get certifications for them, regardless of if they are useless or not later in life.

confused.gif
The lady didn't know how to use the register, it doesn't take a whole lot of computer knowledge to use a register.

May 31, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
confused.gif
The lady didn't know how to use the register, it doesn't take a whole lot of computer knowledge to use a register.

I have no idea about compusa that I believe you referred to (kind of tired), but I'm talking about the general computer store here.

May 31, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r
Yeah that is a good idea, mabey I can get a job at my school. I took a class for 2 years that fix teachers computers and student computers. My mom leaves for work at 6am and most places dont even open till 8.

btw if there was a compusa near by me I would work my ass off
biggrin.gif

There is a bestbuy about 1 mile from my house, mabey I can get a bike and ride up their. I would hate to ride a bike their in 90 degree heat and show up for work alll sweaty and nasty
biggrin.gif
I dont think they hire under 18 for computer repair.

Hey if anyone in Austin is hiring, a desperate hardworker is here
biggrin.gif

a 1 mile bike ride isn't a big deal in my opinion. I bike an avarage of 50 km a week to get around which isn't a big deal either IMO.

May 31, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 24
Is there such a thing as computer repair? 20 years ago people repaired computers, today people change heatsinks, fans and thermal greese. Otherwise you generally just replace components, nobody begins soldering motherboards and trying to fix stuff. It's mostly software problems, generally by trouble shooting it's just knowing different errors, what causes memtest to fail, etc etc.

May 31, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Is there such a thing as computer repair? 20 years ago people repaired computers, today people change heatsinks, fans and thermal greese. Otherwise you generally just replace components, nobody begins soldering motherboards and trying to fix stuff. It's mostly software problems, generally by trouble shooting it's just knowing different errors, what causes memtest to fail, etc etc.

That's pretty much what happens with all consumer gear, nobody repairs anything. It's all replacement parts. It's nearly always cheaper an quicker to replace things as labour costs are astronomical and parts are cheap (relatively).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back