Bada PH-12: New tubes?
Mar 14, 2008 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
Original Post: Fixed.[size=xx-small]I just got all of my new gear yesterday, and while I am impressed with the sound overall, I can hear a pretty loud humming when I have headphones plugged into the amp, even with music playing sometimes. It does not matter where the volume knob is, it is the same volume. I assume this is a power issue? I have it plugged into a power strip running from the wall, is that bad? I am not using the stock cord, just a generic right angle cable.

Anybody know what I can do to fix this?
[/size]

I am now looking for some suggestions for replacement tubes for this beast. I want to replace all three tubes, and I get the best SQ possible without spending more than $150 for all three tubes.

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Nope
frown.gif
. It only came with three 6SN7GT's. I am looking for a good combo to change them all out with new ones, but I do not know a lot about tubes when it comes to which sound the best.

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 11
It's hard to say what would sound the best. A lot depends on other factors as well as the tubes. If I had to make a suggestion for your tube type, I'd say keep an eye open for some Tung-Sol, Sylvania, and RCA's. For a cheap fix, I've read some good things about the Electro-Harminox. You should be able to get those decently cheap. If you're looking to spend a little dough and get some real good ones give Kevin at upscaleaudio a call. Upscale Audio - Rare Tubes, Highest Fidelity

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Also, don't forget to try to isolate the problem a bit further. Try the stock cable, and try plugging directly into the wall socket. See if that helps at all.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Do you have a ground loop? That sounds like the problem; although the hum could also be a tube. Disconnect the IC's from the amp and see if the hum remains. If not, you have a ground loop.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got all of my new gear yesterday, and while I am impressed with the sound overall, I can hear a pretty loud humming when I have headphones plugged into the amp, even with music playing sometimes. It does not matter where the volume knob is, it is the same volume. I assume this is a power issue? I have it plugged into a power strip running from the wall, is that bad? I am not using the stock cord, just a generic right angle cable.

Anybody know what I can do to fix this?

Its a ground loop.

Just get some cheater plugs at Home Depot (unless you've got some), and fit them on the 3 pronged PCs (one at a time) and see which one eliminates the ground loop (stops the hum) and you're "good to go."

I'd start with the PC to the CDP.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, I just upgraded from my bada to a raptor. There are a ton of weird noises. I recommend herbie's dampening feet. Tenderfoots are great. Don't get the iso cups, they slide around alot and a weird. Also get some good 6SN7 tubes. Tube dampeners will be good too (herbie's), but make you you get the wrong ones. 6SN7 and 6SN7GT are different sizes, so watch out.
At least thats what helped me without fussing with the inside stuffs.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 11
I think I will just get one of those 2-3 pin converters, and if it wont fix it, I will try something else.

I am now looking for some suggestions for replacement tubes for this beast. I want to replace all three tubes, and I get the best SQ possible without spending more than $150 for all three tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back