BADA PH-12 ANY GOOD ?
Sep 21, 2006 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

retro

New Head-Fier
Hi every one ! i would like to get some information regarding this amp. How much do they cost ? are they worth it ? and what modifications can you do to improve the sound ?
rolleyes.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Just do a search in the amps forum, you'll find your answer.

And... you can PM "drarthurwells" who'll tell you more than you want to know.

Here's one of the links:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=Bada

And... you can get it at www.pacificvalve.us at a good price with a 30 day return guarantee. It's about $450, unless you buy it on their "First Tuesday" special, in which case they sell it for about $380, or so, with no 30 day return allowed.

I've been thinking about trying it also... except that it reportedly is not so good with low impedence phones (i.e. Grados).

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Sep 22, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
Just do a search in the amps forum, you'll find your answer.

And... you can PM "drarthurwells" who'll tell you more than you want to know.

Here's one of the links:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=Bada

And... you can get it at www.pacificvalve.us at a good price with a 30 day return guarantee. It's about $450, unless you buy it on their "First Tuesday" special, in which case they sell it for about $380, or so, with no 30 day return allowed.

I've been thinking about trying it also... except that it reportedly is not so good with low impedence phones (i.e. Grados).

Thanks for that Gradofan2 !
I did read that forum that drarthurwells started but it wasent helpful becouse every one was going on about the way he was saying things about the amp but only 1 or 2 people out of every one did have the amp and there reviews they made where very short and not very detailed ! does any one know of some one here that has had the amp and did a good review on it besides Gradofan2 ! not that i dont belive wat he sed but its good to get a few peoples point of views insted of just one !
confused.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Here is the only other review of the Bada I have seen ....
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=aerius..

That thread's what I like to call "counter-point"
tongue.gif
. Seriously though, aerius basically liked it; just didn't think it was as great as spontaneous cold fusion. The review was great. The respondent's flame fest that thread decended into is a real joke. Make you wonder how old some of those posters are ... and if not, I'd expect mature people to not be so unyielding and respect differing opinions.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 10
I had a PH-12 for a few months but ended up selling it because it didn't mesh well with my Grados. Specifically, I heard faint electronic 'noise' with nothing playing at zero volume no matter where in my house I tried. In addition, floating the ground failed to alleviate the issue. Other than that I was happy with it. One other thing to keep in mind is that they run VERY hot. The volume knob used to get uncomfortably hot to the touch at times.

Happy Listening!
gs1000.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com
I had a PH-12 for a few months but ended up selling it because it didn't mesh well with my Grados. Specifically, I heard faint electronic 'noise' with nothing playing at zero volume no matter where in my house I tried. In addition, floating the ground failed to alleviate the issue. Other than that I was happy with it. One other thing to keep in mind is that they run VERY hot. The volume knob used to get uncomfortably hot to the touch at times.

Happy Listening!
gs1000.gif

Hi ! the amp dosnt like low impedanse phones like grados was mentioned in the forum ! i have just ordered a Beyerdynamic DT880 and i think they are 250 ohms so i shouldent have any problems with impedance . what i really want to know is IS THIS THE BEST AMP AT THAT PRICE RANGE ($300-$600)
and people say things like swaping tubes for diffrent sound ( and thats ok ) but dont you have to fidle around with the electronics to do that ?ex..voltages and stuff ..or its a matter of just plug and play ?

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 10
I haven't heard most of the amps in that price range so I cannot really make a valid call. IMHO, the Darkvoice THA-336i gives the Bada a good run for the money and it's around $310.00 shipped. The Darkvoice is 'pickier' with tubes but it does play well with low impedance cans. You might also want to take a look at the G&W 2.6F. I haven't heard this one personally, however, it gets good reviews. There happens to be one available in the For Sale forum on here.

Tube rolling with the PH-12 is plug and play, although you have to be careful as it's fairly easy to damage the mosfets. Art Wells is the person to talk to about the dos and don'ts of the PH-12.

Quote:

Originally Posted by retro
Hi ! the amp dosnt like low impedanse phones like grados was mentioned in the forum ! i have just ordered a Beyerdynamic DT880 and i think they are 250 ohms so i shouldent have any problems with impedance . what i really want to know is IS THIS THE BEST AMP AT THAT PRICE RANGE ($300-$600)
and people say things like swaping tubes for diffrent sound ( and thats ok ) but dont you have to fidle around with the electronics to do that ?ex..voltages and stuff ..or its a matter of just plug and play ?

Happy Listening!
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back