Bad time to buy Sony HD3?
Mar 10, 2005 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dj_daniel88

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I am out to replace my iPod mini for somethin with a bit more bass and coloured sound. I was about to buy a HD1 (with mp3 upgrade) or a HD3, but I don't know if this would be a good move or not. I know Sony are bringing out new flash players and MD players, but do you think a HD player will be next? I don't wanna buy the HD3 and find out another, improved player is on the market two weeks later. What do you think? Im interested in everybodys opinion... :)

Mar 10, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 13
I am very happy with my HD3. wouldnt want to change it for another player.
Although there is just one thing i find annoying, is that, if you scroll through the list of groups, artists etc, then go back to now playing, and press mode again, it takes you to the top of the list.
This is the only thing though, im happy with the sound and useability

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Hi, Sphinx.

If you simply press up or down on the directional pad while playing, it will bring you right to your current position of the list instead back to top. Then you can also se left button to go to the higher level of the tree hierarchy.

Hope this helps.

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by johsu
Hi, Sphinx.

If you simply press up or down on the directional pad while playing, it will bring you right to your current position of the list instead back to top. Then you can also se left button to go to the higher level of the tree hierarchy.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, i knew that already, but thanks.

What i mean is, that with the ipod, you can be on now playing, press menu, and go to a completly different place on the player, go back to now playing, and when you press menu again, it will go to the place on the player that you had gone to before going back to 'now playing'

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 13
I see, like going to a different function of the player (i.e., EQ, language, backlight setting... etc.?) Well, let me know how to do it if you find out.
etysmile.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 13
eek.gif
just found out!

when you are on the view which shows groups etc, hold mode to take you to 'now playing' and hold mode again to take you to where you were browsing
icon10.gif

it doesnt work with the menu though...i dont think

i love my HD3 now!

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 13
The HD3 doesn't always "keep it's place".

On the matter of alternatives, don't buy an HD3 now... instead, keep a sharp eye out for the iRiver H10 20Gb. DO NOT BE THE FIRST TO BUY. Monitor Misticriver.net closely for initial bugs and unsatisfied users.

Mar 11, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Yeh but I hate iRiver... They are big, ugly and hard to use. The sound quality and EQ are really good though... shame the iPod can't incooperate this.

When do u guys predict a new HD player release from Sony?

Mar 11, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 13
i read a news article where sony stated that they'd have a new hdd to compete better with the ipod by the end of the year. so - probably on the shelves for christmas)

Mar 11, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 13
I replaced my 3g/15g iPod with a HD1 because I couldn't stand my ever-decreaseing battery life. Problem solved with the HD1, great battery life, great sound especially with the SR71 and Sensas. I don't care about the lack of MP3 support.

The only nitpick I have is the track shuffle feature. I have ~800 songs and it seems to repeat the same songs. I try to start elsewhere on my song list, album list, or group list and it may change the order, then the same set of songs will evetually play. The Sony manual is useless and so is their toll free support. Other than that the player has lived up to its billing and more. Highly recommended.

I was at my local Fry's and saw the HD3 up close and I was very tempted to buy it, but I resisted...so far!!!

Go ahead and buy the HD3. Portable playes and gadgets are ever evolving -don't worry about the latest and greatest, buy something and enjoy the music.

Mar 11, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 13
I also wouldnt trade my hd3 for anything (esp since I got my er6i's) bettery life, sound quality, looks.. all rock! Just be sure you have a pretty good computer to handle sonicstage... I think thats the reason some people have sonicstage problems.

Mar 11, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 13
I don't agree. I have a low voltage P3 800 laptop and I run SS3.0 and iTunes together with no problems. I even listen to iTunes when SS is converting to atrac and sending them to minidisc.
Re: the new player coming out, nobody knows the date as the "by the end of the year" is pretty random. It will have OLED, that is for sure.

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

The only nitpick I have is the track shuffle feature. I have ~800 songs and it seems to repeat the same songs. I try to start elsewhere on my song list, album list, or group list and it may change the order, then the same set of songs will evetually play.

I got the NW-HD1 too, and noticed the same problem. However, it only occurs if you shuffle, stop the player, and press play again later to re-awake the player. Start a new shuffle and the shuffle feels completely random again. No danger in hearing the same songs, if like me you have ~2000 songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back