Bad sound on Mehta's "Planets" on Decca
Aug 18, 2005 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Factor

500+ Head-Fier
ClassicsToday gives it a 10 out of 10 for sound quality, and numerous others (Amazon reviewers, people on here in the thread about the best "Planets") mentioned it as being a great performance as well. A sure bet, I thought. So I pick it up and pop it in and within 90 seconds of pressing play, "Mars" is clipping like it's 1999. What gives?

All I'm looking for is a "Planets" that's interpreted and played well, has a steady, moderately-paced "Mars" (no faster than Mehta's tempo) and doesn't crumble into a distorted mess. Suggestions?

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 17
Hehe, I posted a thread just like this weeks ago. Yes, Mehta's Mars is godawful, but to my ears the rest of the album is gold. I can't recommend any other versions of the planets, unfortunately, but there is a London Symphony Orchestra version of Mars by EMI that is perfect, on a cd called Unforgettable Classics, if you're willing.

Aug 18, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 17
Oh man. I actually posted in that thread. Then later, when I started looking for a version of The Planets for myself, I couldn't remember which was which. When I read the ClassicsToday review of the Mehta one I assumed that had to have been the good one.

This sucks.

So... I'm hoping to pick up a good, proven version of this today. Thinking about Dutoit (Penguin) and Boult (EMI). Advice?

Aug 18, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 17
Hmm. Based on Mars alone, I'd say you can't go wrong with the EMI/Boult, despite not having heard the other one. But I barely qualify as an audiophile so maybe you ought to hold on for another opinion.

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 17
You might try the XRCD or the vinyl of Mehta's Planets. For whatever reason, in spite of the early 70s Decca engineering, this one has found a niche in the audiophile market.

Walter Susskind's recording with the St. Louis SO is excellent, and it's on a beautifully mastered MoFi SACD. John Eliot Gardiner has one out that seems to be very well liked in some circles. Boult, if I recall correctly, premiered the work for Holst, so he had some familiarity with it and its composer.

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 17
I like the Mehta - It appears to be heavily dependent on incarnation as psmith indicated - I have a Speakers Corner audiophile pressing. It sounds multi-miked and unnatural, but there's something cool about it...

For a more conventional approach, I recommend the Karajan digital CD. His is still the best Jupiter I've heard.

The Dutoit didn't really do it for me, but I'm in the minority - most people love it. The various Boults that I've heard are OK (I'm not an expert on them, but I seem to recall that the last one has a spectacular missed entrance at the critical point in "Mars"..

I have yet to find the ultimate, definitive "Planets".

Aug 18, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
For a more conventional approach, I recommend the Karajan digital CD. His is still the best Jupiter I've heard.

I almost recommended the 1981 Herbert von Karajan release, but I find the early digital glassiness almost unbearable. It is probably as middle-of-the-road as one can get. This site has some good recommendations and reviews.

Don't get me wrong, by the way, about Mehta. His performance is not without its charms, but it is unusually dependent on various masterings and releases. For whatever reason, the audiophile remastering labels (e.g., Speakers Corner or JVC) seem to do a better job with it than Decca.

Aug 19, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 17
Has anyone heard the Vernon Handley/RPO version?

Man, I wish there was an easy answer for this. For a work this popular you'd think there would have been at least one recording where both the sound and the performance were right on.

If money were no object I'd probably seek out the XRCD version of Mehta's, but I'm not about to pay $30 for a CD. Besides, better mastering wouldn't change the weird, spot-miked sound of the horns.

Aug 19, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Just want to point out that there have been at least two threads in last year discussing many versions of Holst Planets if you do search......

I know, I've read them, and if they got me where I wanted to be then I wouldn't have posted this.

I'm going to see if I can't seek out the Handley version for cheap. Right now the only place I can find it is some site called "Berkshire Record Outlet" which I found via Froogle, but when I try to add it to my cart I get an error. Amazon.com looks like they have a cheap listing but on checkout it tells you that it's no longer available.

I got a 25% off coupon from Borders today. Maybe I'll use that to get the Dutoit version. I will not rest until I find the "Planets" for me.

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 17
Got the Dutoit a couple days ago. Just listened to his Saturn.

Words can't describe.

Anyway, search over. I'll still keep an eye out for the Handley just for grins. Thanks for the help. I'll come crying again when it's time to scope out an SACD version.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 17
The Organ and the low brass earn the Mehta it's reputation. (Particularly since they unchained Tubist Roger Bobo-of Close Encounters fame....)

It holds up to my ears. I've got the LP reissue and there's no distortion when I play it.
The Decca CD pales somewhat. It's still the interpretation I prefer, but then I'm a brass player. Classic's reissue on CD was done right as well. If you can find it (and after that...afford it...)

Cheers!

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 17
I love Mehta's despite the sound, but there's nothing comparing to the sheer sonic splendour of the Dutoit...there's something magical about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back