Bad solder joint on a cap?
Nov 17, 2005 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

maarek99

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I've done some modding on my emu 0404 soundcard (changed opamp to ad8066, removed buffers + bypassed output caps).

Now I've changed all of the relevant analogue caps to sanyo oscons. Same voltage and capacitance, except a couple of the new ones are 15 uf instead of 10.

Everything seemed to go well, except I get very faint sound now. I gather there's a bad solder joint somewhere, unfortunately I did all 11 caps at the same time, and all of them look ok. Should I just start removing them completely or is there some simple way to check which one of them has the connection problem? With an ohm meter perhaps?

Nov 18, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Before you start removing caps, try reflowing all the connections as they are. Just hold the iron to the joint until the solder melts, if the joint looks questionable, add a little solder. This should be a lot easier than removing/reinstalling 11 caps, plus you can just do all the joints and don't have to worry about finding the bad conneciton.

I'm not sure this will solve your problem, but it's an easy first step for troubleshooting. I was having problems with an amp I built and even with a magnifying glass and going over the bottom of the board multiple times, I never saw the bad solder joint. I took 10 minutes and reflowed the connections around the area I knew the problem was. Presto! The amp worked.
biggrin.gif

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back