Bad recordings
May 20, 2022 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

paulrbarnard

100+ Head-Fier
I just had a unsettling situation. Listening to some music and I start to hear a crackling in the background. Sounded very much like a driver breaking down.
After a bit of checking of connections and the headphones I determined it was actually the track I was playing.
I was streaming some London Grammar from QoBuz and the track with the crackle is All My Love from the album Californian Soul.
I wonder if this is just the QoBuz master of in the original release.

Anyone else found a random track on an album with sound problems?

P.S. It is of course possible the crackle is deliberate but if it was it destroyed a beautiful track…

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Just tried the song on Youtube and Spotify. The crackle is deliberate. To me it sounds like a somewhat failed attempt mimicking the sound of an old vinyl LP.

I have some Harmonia Mundi Bach recordings that have a crackle every now and then the choir hits a big crescendo.

May 20, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Just tried the song on Youtube and Spotify. The crackle is deliberate. To me it sounds like a somewhat failed attempt mimicking the sound of an old vinyl LP.

I have some Harmonia Mundi Bach recordings that have a crackle every now and then the choir hits a big crescendo.

That’s interesting, the YouTube version you link has massively more crackle than I was getting from the QoBuz version. The one I was listening to was a very faint crackle in the background. It’s pretty obvious it’s deliberate in this version. Still ruins a lovely song 😀

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Now, Poppy is my Mommy and her survival is all that matters, but she has some of the worst sounding recordings. studio and concert. I've got a YT channel and have listened to them all to pump up my last.fm stats. Eat is the worst IMO and you're lucky to find many good live recordings.
I'm sorry, Poppy.

I listen to all my music through a FreeBSD powered Lenovo Thinkpad W520 with Intel HD Audio and a CX20585 codec, using PulseAudio and Audacious as a player for the .ogg container,listening through Koss Pro Titanium Lightweight headphones.

At first I thought it might be my Graphic Equalizer so I disabled it, and have tried it with OSS4 Output, but I've got tinnitus so who knows....

You decide:

Eat - Official Audio

Mexican recording of the Eat Demo
(There are quite a few of these recordings.)

Mexican recording of Poppy performing Eat at the 2021 Grammys. YT banned the video and this reuploaded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back