Bad recorded CDs
Mar 2, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK
I don't mind compressed dynamics per se.

I do. As far as I'm concerned it amounts to low fidelity, and most of the time sounds like ****. I don't care if you play an overcompressed CD on a $50,000 CD player, it will still sound like **** (particularly anything with drumbeats or rhythm of some sort).

Then again, I grew up more on vinyl (which has quite good dynamics) than radio, and developed an ear for punchy dynamics early on.

Quote:

And classical recordings have to have compressed dynamics: You couldn't listen to them at home otherwise. Louds would be too loud and the quiets would be too quiet.

There's a difference between having a little compression, and being squashed to death like most modern CDs. A HUGE difference, and I'm surprised that anyone wouldn't be aware of it. Dynamics basically constitute the lifeblood of the music.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
No, we shouldn't. This topic has been discussed to death and back. Do a search.
basshead.gif

I'm well aware, but it is all scattered. If there was a sticky you could just subscribe to *one* thread and would know about new crappy discs instantly.

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #18 of 40
Listening to Californication, i find it hard to belive this is supposed to sound like this.

I can´t believe someone got paid for recording and mastering something that sounds this bad.

It´s a shame.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #19 of 40
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Rush - Vapor Trails yet. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #20 of 40
I agree that the Go Team! is supposed to sound lo-fi. Perhaps why it sounds so bad is because in order to sound lo-fi it these days you have to sound worse than most the junk out there which is quite a feat indeed.

It is not pleasant to listen with on my phones. I leave it to my mini-system.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Garbage - Bleed Like me
LOUD & comprssd

Indeed, "Bleed Like Me' is the worst recording I heard in 05 - the flattest loudest piece of crap these hears have heard in a while.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 40
All I know is that it's really depressing how many poorly recorded CDs are out there, and partially because of that I mostly avoid rock/pop on my main setup. I only listen to it on my portable Philips MP3 player with Portapro2's plugged in... much less of a sinking feeling that way. Both of my better cans (DT880 and K501) are brutal in revealing poor recordings, particularly the DT880.

Of course, newer light jazz takes a hit as well, and I sometimes run into clipping and overcompression listening to that on my home setup... but it's not nearly as widespread as it is with rock. Classical, film soundtracks and most "new age" music are thankfully exempt from the compression wars.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #24 of 40
Evanescence - Fallen (I know the band gets a bad wrap, but I like them, shame the album is mastered like **** though)

Highly agree with Red Hot Chili Peppers Californication (I thoght something was really wrong with my rig when I played it
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

As for The Go! Team, it does have a Lo-Fi sound but I think that is something the band was aiming for at least that is what I got from my listen.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #25 of 40
This is turning into a gret thread!
580smile.gif

I 100% agree with Oliver to make it into a sticky: I guess that for a lot of people would be very useful to be warned about albums that are musically interesting, but sound horrible.

Personally I buy about a dozen of CD monthly, mainly through Amazon, and at least a third of them are so badly recorded that I just put them away. If somebody would warn me I could save loads of money.

Wow, I am surprised to see how many of you have heard the Go Team! in the US. I'll try to go and see them live next week if I manage to get tikets on ebay at decent price. Is the only way to check if they are as good as they seem.

And yes "Ta Det Lugnt" is another example of what is probably a good CD, but I can't stand listening to it

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Rush - Vapor Trails yet. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Rush takes the rotten egg for me.... How could such stellar musicianship fall prey to such flat, bland recordings?

How can 3 instruments and a guy singing sound so conjested and cluttered? Listening to R30 as I type this and its not too bad, although Alex's hughes / kettner tone sounds too compressed and fuzzy IMHO. He needs to go back to Marshall and Laney heads.

Garrett

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Evanescence - Fallen (I know the band gets a bad wrap, but I like them, shame the album is mastered like **** though)

Indeed.I like some of the songs but the sound is crap

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #28 of 40
ya, mezmerize is recorded a bit harsh, like listening to sandpaper
luckly, its the least favorite of system of a down

also, absolution by muse isn't recorded very well, which totally turned me off to listening to it to death, but i really like most of the tracks

same goes with franz ferdinand and their self titled album

ANThology by alien ant farm (ya, its old, watever) is recorded very poorly

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
same goes with franz ferdinand and their self titled album

Actually, You Could Have It So Much Better is even worse IMO.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 40
The grand price for album recorded furthest into the red has to IMHO go to Oasis' What's the Story Morning Glory. Too bad too, because I really like that album.

I even bought the SACD, hoping that it might benefit from a newer format. Nope...the distorted crap simply sounds more resolved.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back