Bad Metadata is Killing Music
Aug 12, 2004 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
I chose to place this in the Lounge as opposed to the Music forum since a large portion of Head-Fi's userbase (for whatever reason) ignores the Music forum. Anyhow, a very interesting article and a must-read for us all on Head-Fi, especially those computer-audio users.

link

- Chris

Aug 13, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 4
This is all about how much data manufacturers & developers decide to input into their database. I can imagine a bunch of artist's personal photos, scanned signatures, original concert posters, etc. on iPod with a 16 mil. color display in near future....

Aug 13, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 4
I think the record companies are just Scrooges with any kind of information. Since it is considered valuable intellectual property, they guard it with the zealous paranoia of a true mattress banker. God forbid it be released to fans to read, look at, or copy.

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 4
The one thing the author forgot to point out is the "COMMENT" tag which lets you put anything in it, even entire seperate files if you UUEncode them. You could easily put all the different performers into the comment tag and with Foobar2000 you could create a playlist formatting string that displays the comment tag with the rest of the song information. And with APE v2 (MP3/Monkey's Audio) or Vorbis (FLAC/Ogg Vorbis) tags you can even add tags that aren't part of the specification (like a "GUITARIST" tag). Of course all that information needs to be entered, but with powerful tools like Foobar2000's mass tagger it shouldn't be too difficult, maybe 10 minutes per album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back