Bad Idea to Connect an amp/dac directly to a computer monitor?
Sep 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mamamia88

100+ Head-Fier
I recently moved my gaming setup to a computer desk.  Problem is I don't have a pc just a ps4 and plan on getting an xbox one.  Thing is the sound doesn't get loud enough with my hd 558s connected directly to the monitor or the ps4 controller.   I was thinking of picking up the playstation gold headset but, seeing how I already have the hd 558s it might be better just to connect a headphone amplifier to the monitor.  Is this a bad idea? 

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 4
bump i want the least convoluted method to enjoy the headphones i already have with the ps4/xbox one.  would it be bad to connect an amplifier to the headphone out of a computer monitor? 

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 4
The only issue with connecting an amp to the monitor is that you'd be double amping so the sound quality may be reduced, but for gaming I doubt you'd notice.  No damage will be done to anything so just give it a try, if it's good enough you're done.

The other option would be connecting the DAC to the PS4 another way - the PS1 had coaxial and the PS2 had optical output for this very reason but I've not examined any newer consoles so they may have removed them when they switched to HDMI.

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 4
  The only issue with connecting an amp to the monitor is that you'd be double amping so the sound quality may be reduced, but for gaming I doubt you'd notice.  No damage will be done to anything so just give it a try, if it's good enough you're done.

The other option would be connecting the DAC to the PS4 another way - the PS1 had coaxial and the PS2 had optical output for this very reason but I've not examined any newer consoles so they may have removed them when they switched to HDMI.

It still has optical but, I'm looking for an all in one solution seeing how I plan on getting an xbox one this holiday if I see a deal that I think is worth it. Of course if the dac/amp had multiple inputs I could theoretically run a cable from both to the dac/amp.  But, 1 cable is better then 2 imo.  It would also be nice if I could connect my clip or so to the front of the amp as well.  Any suggestion on a cheap amp prefferably on amazon that will work on my headphones until i decide on speakers?  I need to order something else to get above $35 anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back