Bad ground??
Feb 12, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #16 of 22
I just had the same problem when I received a new amp and hooked it up. I spent 2 evenings trouble shooting for 6 hours, switching amps,preamps,power cords, cables and interconnects, different power sources etc. My wife thought I had lost it, 11:30 at night outside in the Hanalei rain on a ladder with a headlamp cutting trees away from the power poles???
Anyways, my advice (actually my friend John's who is a class a electrician) is try and find a new ground that is not hooked up to the building power. If you are on ground floor, run a cable from your neighbors. Even better, pound a long bar into the ground and run your ground to it. If you are not on ground floor this obviously wont work. Maybe try a small honda generator. The newer models are supposed to have quite clean power and can probably be rented at any rental place.

good luck, I know how annoying it is.

It turned out to be an old cable wire comming to the house from the pole. The output was connected to my amplifier, and the preamp was connected to the amplifier, so once I unplugged the cable connection, it was fixed.
I cancelled cable. It sucks anyways.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had the same problem when I received a new amp and hooked it up. I spent 2 evenings trouble shooting for 6 hours, switching amps,preamps,power cords, cables and interconnects, different power sources etc. My wife thought I had lost it, 11:30 at night outside in the Hanalei rain on a ladder with a headlamp cutting trees away from the power poles???
Anyways, my advice (actually my friend John's who is a class a electrician) is try and find a new ground that is not hooked up to the building power. If you are on ground floor, run a cable from your neighbors. Even better, pound a long bar into the ground and run your ground to it. If you are not on ground floor this obviously wont work. Maybe try a small honda generator. The newer models are supposed to have quite clean power and can probably be rented at any rental place.

good luck, I know how annoying it is.

It turned out to be an old cable wire comming to the house from the pole. The output was connected to my amplifier, and the preamp was connected to the amplifier, so once I unplugged the cable connection, it was fixed.
I cancelled cable. It sucks anyways.

Thanks Mike, and I know how long it can take to get utility work done over there. Even in Honolulu they like to take their time
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #18 of 22
Johnasonad,
After I installed (simple operation) the Jensen ground loop interrupter my hum disappeared.
Have you had any luck diagnosing and fixing your hum?
BTW:
Radio Shack carryies ground loop isolators.
At about a fourth of the price of the Jensen product.
Harvey

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 22
The hum is gone out of the speakers and is lingering in the transformers. I am giving up on it as the end (silence) does not justify the mean (money to get silence). I can live with the transformer hum. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #21 of 22
You don't happen to have a satellite dish do you? Improperly grounded satellite dishes are notorious for causing some serious ground loop issues. Cable also to a lesser extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back