Bad experience with Shure 846 build quality... looking for alternatives
Nov 15, 2019 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

thedragooooo

New Head-Fier
I had 846s for a couple of years but I have constant problems with them. I had them replaced once through warranty, but the same thing happened again once warranty was over. The cables become jammed into the earphones and can't be removed without destroying them. I also got regular distortion in the first set, probably caused by the cable problems.

I've had Shures for years, starting with the 530s in around 2008, then the 535s, then the 846s. Generally the build quality has been good but my experience with the 846s is making me think again.

Shure have offered my a brand new pair of 846s at a discounted price so I'm wondering whether to go with that, and hope this time they last more than 2 years. But are there any other options out there at a similar price people can recommend? I'm currently using Campfire Audio Comets because they're 'cheap', and they're ok - but honestly nothing compared to my 846s. I'm not interested in any of the more expensive Campfire Audio options either.

By the way, I really looked after my 846s. I commute / take a lot of flights, but I didn't do a single thing that would have contributed to their damage, so 'being more careful next time' isn't gonna help me.

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 3
I had 846s for a couple of years but I have constant problems with them. I had them replaced once through warranty, but the same thing happened again once warranty was over. The cables become jammed into the earphones and can't be removed without destroying them. I also got regular distortion in the first set, probably caused by the cable problems.

I've had Shures for years, starting with the 530s in around 2008, then the 535s, then the 846s. Generally the build quality has been good but my experience with the 846s is making me think again.

Shure have offered my a brand new pair of 846s at a discounted price so I'm wondering whether to go with that, and hope this time they last more than 2 years. But are there any other options out there at a similar price people can recommend? I'm currently using Campfire Audio Comets because they're 'cheap', and they're ok - but honestly nothing compared to my 846s. I'm not interested in any of the more expensive Campfire Audio options either.

By the way, I really looked after my 846s. I commute / take a lot of flights, but I didn't do a single thing that would have contributed to their damage, so 'being more careful next time' isn't gonna help me.

I had two midfi westones that died on me at the cable insertion point previously and i babied them and put them in hard cases when not in use. Other than some TOTL sets, a lot of midfi and budget western brands are made in china and QC can be a crapshoot sometimes.

I saw some folks in the Audiosense thread say they preferred the audiosense T800 to their shure se846. I haven't heard the latter but for sure in sound quality it beats my midfi westones that are more expensive. Worth checking out, it retails at $298 usd, 8 knowles BA set.

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back