Bad experience with pure silver cables for HD650...
May 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

telecaster

1000+ Head-Fier
..is what I'm looking for to hear here!

I know cables is a hot subject and I don't want to hear the 'good' experience from those who swapped their stock cable for a pure silver cable.
What I want here is only those who did it, then prefer the stock sound, or were truly disapointed in using silver cables.

I want to DIY a cable with 24AWG silver with the cardas connectors for my beloved HD650. I want more bass basically.

May 10, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 50
Swapping a cable will not give you more bass. Changing cables is nice if you need a different length but it will not change the sound quality. If you want to change the cable, go ahead but it really won't change much. I suggest you save the money and spend it on something else

May 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 50
Echoing the above, you won't get more bass from cables. Been there, tried it, nothing changed. If you want more bass and you're listening to files from your PC, use the software EQ.

May 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 50
Oki doki, I already use a EQ in my preamp, just wanted to know what I already suspected. What is weird and mostly due to psychoascoustic is that whenever I use the HD600 cable with the HD650 I feel the sound is thinner, so I always ended up returning to stock cable... Power of the mind basically...

Better not sink the 70€ in raw material I was planning in soldering a pure silver cable and putting that money in the piggy jar, for next Xmass maybe a HE500 in sight or a HD800...

May 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:
Oki doki, I already use a EQ in my preamp, just wanted to know what I already suspected. What is weird and mostly due to psychoascoustic is that whenever I use the HD600 cable with the HD650 I feel the sound is thinner, so I always ended up returning to stock cable... Power of the mind basically...

So far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, the stock HD650, HD600 and HD580 cables are 100% identical (except the HD650 cable is terminated with a 6.3mm plug instead of 3.5mm). 

May 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #8 of 50
Better save money and get yourself a pair of D5000 or D7000 if you want keep enjoying HD650s comfort but if you don't mind much more heavier you can try HE-400 if it's a good pairing with your gear

May 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

So far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, the stock HD650, HD600 and HD580 cables are 100% identical (except the HD650 cable is terminated with a 6.3mm plug instead of 3.5mm). 

Nope the HD600 cable is like the cable of my HD250, the connectors are red and black, the cord is thinner and the plug is 3.5mm with supplied 6.35mm adapter. While the HD650 cable has bigger and longer only black connectors, the cable is substentially thicker and has only 6.35mm plug supplied with a cord 3.5mm adapter.
The HD650 was advertised with an upgraded cable over HD600. I like the red plug of the HD600 cable for spotting fast the right side and left side, but it really is strange that I hear a difference 100% of the time... Psychoacoustic is very tricky I guess! Also the HD600 is slightly shorter, maybe a foot or two.

May 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 50
I build the dang things and I will tell you no cable will just magically add a whole bunch of one thing. The differences are subtle if that.

If you don't like the bass levels on the HD650, you have a pretty decent budget to play musical chairs with other headphones. DT990 comes into mind for sure, then Ultrasone-something-something. 

Chris no have a lot of experience with Ultrasone =(

*manly tears*

May 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:
I build the dang things and I will tell you no cable will just magically add a whole bunch of one thing. The differences are subtle if that.

If you don't like the bass levels on the HD650, you have a pretty decent budget to play musical chairs with other headphones. DT990 comes into mind for sure, then Ultrasone-something-something. 

Chris no have a lot of experience with Ultrasone =(

*manly tears*

Do you use Jin's headband on your RS2i's????

May 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 50
Thanks Chris, I suspected that no cable will magically boost the bass. I was also expecting other improvements of course, but if it's not night and day I might better buy some tubes for fun tube rolling, that is more satisfying.
As for a new headphone I guess my best bet is to comparing in hand with other headphones to see what is best for my amp and gauge the improvement over HD650 if any.

May 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:
Do you use Jin's headband on your RS2i's????

Yes I do. They're pretty comfy (cardboard foam padding inside) and the hair oils don't make it slick like lambskin or the stock vinyl does. I totally forget Jin and I work in the same "company" all the time. We're just two friends who share a website lol.

May 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #14 of 50
Thanks Chris, I suspected that no cable will magically boost the bass. I was also expecting other improvements of course, but if it's not night and day I might better buy some tubes for fun tube rolling, that is more satisfying.
As for a new headphone I guess my best bet is to comparing in hand with other headphones to see what is best for my amp and gauge the improvement over HD650 if any.

Err give the Grado SR-225 a try. It's pretty punchy for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back