Bad day turns into a super productive DIY day (Brainwavz HM5 - Open Back Mod)
Jun 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrTechAgent

Member of the Trade: Kaldas Research
I woke up to a dead HM5 , my left cup was not working ...I was diligent , opened it up to see a solder problem and saw nothing , fast forward 2 hours , opened it again and used a magnifying glass to find out broken strands , cut , resolder and BAM works perfectly 
Since I was feeling too ambitious , I made it open with custom mesh shells .....that's how we roll , thanks for reading , take a look .have a good one ! 

Sonic Changes - 

1) Better Soundstage 
2) Withdrawn Sub-bass 
3) Better Clarity (Less Grain) 
4) Looks cool , you can customize it to your style 

Jul 1, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Lets say this is the REV 2.0 

Since I don't have a hydraulic press I had to get creative to make it more civilized and manufactured if you will , than too DIY , this is precision cutting and fitting at its best 
Instead of using hot-glue I used screws , which made it more flush and smooth along the edges , filing was impossible because the metal was too fragile to bending 
Thought I'll make the mesh black but will save that for next time , thought of making CNC enclosures too but this looks too good as is , will do that once I get bored of the design 
For now , time to sit back and enjoy this mod 

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 10
Looks awesome, dude. Nice work
Pretty cool how painting the mesh black instead of silver makes such a huge difference to the look. It's like the internals suddenly become visible.

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 10
  Looks awesome, dude. Nice work
Pretty cool how painting the mesh black instead of silver makes such a huge difference to the look. It's like the internals suddenly become visible.

Thank you Sir ! 
Yes, the difference is quite drastic ..it looks much better , the stock mesh looked a bit cheap at times :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 10
All I have to say to this is... Wow. They are gorgeous. They look absolutely amazing. Fantastic job, sir.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Well i want to know , as its open design, why dont you remove the foam from the driver back..

It will make your headphone legendary in 2min.

This foam is used to damp resonance inside the cup in initial point. When sound leaves the driver, it get damped so resonance are less peaked inside....but this open design, it won't have one.....so remove the felt foam from driver's back. And get something which is 1000$ in price style audio as driver will move freely and you have extended tight response

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm resurrecting this thread to say thanks to the OP.
It's a long story that starts with me having a set of these same headphones, seeing this thread and going, "oh, I can totally do that..." and from then on I started disassembling and modding every set of headphones I ever got my hands on.
The reason for the thread resurrection is that I just got done modifying a couple of sets of the open back version of this headphone (Spadger CD990 and Monoprice HR-5) and as I was making the last few adjustments to them it occured to me, hang on, this was literally the headphone that got me started doing this in the first place. I couldn't get into my old account to find the thread where I posted about it but I managed to find this thread...and I figured the OP might like to see what the little seed that he planted in my head grew into:
this is the set I'm keeping. I decided on different pads (these were too open and bright), I should paint the yokes to match the cups, but otherwise I am done modding them for now. I did a lot of internal damping (getting all that thin plastic to stop resonating really improves the sound)
IMG_20200327_183558_435.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back