Bad, Bad ALPS RK097
Nov 26, 2008 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NelsonVandal

1000+ Head-Fier
This inevitable little lump has annoyed me far to often. The difference between channels can be as much as 20 % at half volume, and that's where the volume mostly is. 20 % is very audible.

... but I've found a cure for it. Set the volume at half and add a resistor on the louder channel from the potentiometers output to ground to get a perfect balance. I know this lowers the input impedance and alters the logarithmic curve, but I think this is far less audible.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just replace it?

Unless they are hand-selected the replacement is just as likely to be flawed.

But they are small
smily_headphones1.gif
and its a nifty solution to a problem.

A shunted linear pot (to fake a log curve with a linear pot) may also give better channel matching, although it also appears as a variable input impedance.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 12
I had a repeating problem with the right channel being louder than the left. These little pots are crap. I wish they were modular so you can take a bunch of them apart and better match them.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless they are hand-selected the replacement is just as likely to be flawed.

You're damned right. That's what happened. The replacement was just as bad
mad.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATTEFLON /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a repeating problem with the right channel being louder than the left. These little pots are crap. I wish they were modular so you can take a bunch of them apart and better match them.

You could use two left or two right channels.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 12
OMG this totally happens to me every time. I haven't built that many amps yet but every pot I have tried to use so far has been garbage. I'm sure there are good ones out there but damn if I'm gonna spend more on the pot than the amp. So far I have had some success by going to radio shack and getting their dual audio taper and testing it in the store with my meter. I went through four of them last time I was there. Yea, those guys hate me now.
tongue.gif
Whats even worse is they tape up the blister pack and hang it back on the rod. So if your searching for pots in Radioshack, just skip the ones that have been opened.

Nov 28, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 12
Although I like the sound from panasonic evj's better than the alps, their accuracy sucks quite a bit also. Lets just say out of 100 pieces, only 9 were acceptable. I search quite a bit for tiny modular pots but none seem to exist. These cheap pots all seemed to be designed for car or home stereos where the matching isnt as noticable or important compared to direct headphone listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back