Bad/Average Movies with Good endings
Mar 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Suntory_Times

Headphoneus Supremus
The title is fairly self explanatory, I recently saw Lady In The Water and aside from the story sillyness I couldn't help but notice how brilliant the final scene of the film was (especially if you go one 'scene' back on the dvd/hddvd from the credits). This made me wonder what films are out there which are otherwise average/bad that have such a good ending that they almost reedeem themselves or take them beyond average.

Two films that come to mind for me are:
1) Lady in The Water (the music and visualls are just stunning and contains one of the few scenes where I cared between the interactions of any of the characters).
2) Resident Evil - when the unnamed character walks out of the hospital after awaking in a hospital after bieng overpowered upon leaving the hive (put simply, a zombie infested underground lab) only to find the whole city appears to have been over-run. The camera then slowly moves away from the characters face showing seeral blocks of a the carnage.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 6
Yesterday while tinkering with something (replacing the battery in a DAP i think) i ended up watching "a little trip to heaven".

This is not a good film.

Forest Whitaker plays a sleazy insurance loss adjuster who tries to bilk people out of large death benefits.

An irish sleazy insurance loss adjuster. In the early 80's. In an AMC Pacer. And he can't pull off the accent. He's utterly hopeless at it.

I've seen some mighty strange films in my day, but un chien andalou has nothing on the scene where an aging forest whitaker is sitting in a nearly empty bar in a decaying rural town somehwere in america and a 40something (and white) barmaid who's heavier than he is, aggressively flirts with him. Practically throwing herself at him.

If the characters had been more wooden I'd have thought i was watching a david lynch film.

But the ending wasn't bad.

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 6
another film that comes to mind is smoking aces.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another film that comes to mind is smoking aces.

That's one to to enjoy just for the sheer amount of glorious violence.
Can't seem to remember the ending though, what happens?

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one to to enjoy just for the sheer amount of glorious violence.
Can't seem to remember the ending though, what happens?

The surviving young cop pulls the plug on the head 'mafia' man, who was originally a double agent working for the cia and the magician (who's was the formentioned once cia double agents son). Whilst that doesn't sound overly impressive the performance, music, and chosen camera angles make it stand out from the rest of the film.

here it is for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYB68...om=PL&index=15

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The surviving young cop pulls the plug on the head 'mafia' man, who was originally a double agent working for the cia and the magician (who's was the formentioned once cia double agents son). Whilst that doesn't sound overly impressive the performance, music, and chosen camera angles make it stand out from the rest of the film.

here it is for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYB68...om=PL&index=15

I loved the ending of Smokin' Aces, the music IS great in that scene (and cutting straight from that to Common for the ending score)

one that comes to mind is Event Horizon, the movie itself is ~6/10 or 7/10, the ending is kind of unnerving though (they survive everything, its all gory and violent, but then its like "happy ending", and then it twists back, which is kind of tacky, but at the same time, makes it a decent "horror" flick (imho I've yet to see a horror movie, as I've yet to be scared by a movie))

::edit
on that link:
This video is not available in your country. Skipped to the next available video.

I. HATE. COPYRIGHT. LAW.!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back