Backpain
Jan 24, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I didn't bother asking advice from headfiers at the time mostly due to the youngish age of the population. But I did ask at another forum with a more mature pop and in addition to receiving a lot of useful information got the support of learning how very many people have been stricken with truly debilitating back pain, tales of 30 minute torture tests to crawl to the phone in order to call an ambulance. I had no idea it was so common.

The terrible part is the lack of general physical activity increases the chances of getting a little backed up and well let's just say surely someone heard the mighty Sequoia fall in the empty forest.
icon10.gif

Also a new source of terror: the sneeze!
frown.gif

There are times my back hurts so much that I cant even fart or belch!!! LOL Straightening up from sitting on the toilet is a struggle.

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Stretch, calesthenics

This was the stretch I was doing ten times every two hours. (Therapist advised only!)

naga-vj-g.jpg

Also a similar one before sleep, on the stomach, resting on the elbows letting the waist sink into the bed.

I worked hard; nothing motivates like wondering if your life might be ruined!
eek.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #20 of 26
Get yourself a Thumper Pro Massager and someone cute to use it on you. I've delt with back pain nearly all my life due to a childhood injury and the Thumpers are the greatest things since sliced bread. I've got one of every model and they all come in handy.

Also, it may sound silly, but sometimes stretching my hamstrings can do wonders for my back as well.

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 26
Interesting thread, though I was a bit late to the mark. Some genuinely good advises here but as all medical advices given to people; they are tailored for individuals. I suggest if this re-occurs within the fortnight, go to see a doctor or physical therapist. Canadian has the highest quality physical therapy service in the world!
eek.gif
Would be a shame not to use it.

Backpain could be caused by various things and sometimes could be potentially nasty. I am glad to hear that you have passed this episode, but if it comes back, go to see your family physician.

Overlunge

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #22 of 26
Thanks a lot for the help guys.

I have to say, today it has gotten a lot better since I got out of bed, and the pain is ALMOST gone now.

I have actually had this kind of pain a lot when I was growing (during maybe when I was 14, or 15), and I haven't had it since. But this past Christmas, it hit me for about 2 days. But it was not as bad as this time.

I think I made it worse when I continued to go to the gym the day after I got the pain though.

Anyways, now that it's gone, I am happy. If it comes again, I will remember all the advices I got on this thread and go see my doctor
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #24 of 26
I am a veteran of back pain. About 6 or 7 years ago I woke up on a Saturday morning and was unable to walk. The pain down my leg was so bad, I couldn't move without excruciating pain. I ended up having to crawl from my bedroom to the back of my Grand Cherokee. When I got to the hospital, they had to bring the gurney to the back of the truck and pull me onto it. My foot was numb and had no reflexes. I got a shot of dilaudid (great stuff). The worst part that this happened a week before we were leaving on a mountain biking, rafting, hiking trip to Utah. Needless to say, I didn't go. I've had probably 5 epidurals, countless physical therapy sessions over the years. I used to have a recurrence at least yearly for a few years after. So far, I've been 3 years without a recurrence. I was diagnosed with a herniated disc at L4/5. I was told by my doctor to have surgery but avoided it like the plague. It worked out for me. Stretching is probably the single most beneficial thing you can do for your back, in addition to losing weight.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Get yourself a Thumper Pro Massager and someone cute to use it on you. Thumpers are the greatest things since sliced bread. I've got one of every model and they all come in handy.

I had a Thumper and it broke after two years. I bought the "HomeMedic" $49.99 model and it runs great, I feel it is just as useful and a gob cheaper.

I have one ruptured disc (C4) and nine protruding discs (neck, mid and lower back) along with a heavy dose of arthritus and bone spurs. The sacroilliac, hips and knees are bone spurred and full of arthritus also. My back doctor is the same one the Cincinnati Bangles use. He said he can't operate till I am fully parilized. He said the operation, in my case, would probably render me that way anyway.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #26 of 26
A couple more things that help me. First and foremost, a Sleepnumber bed made a world of difference. Secondly, a nice hot bath or jacuzzi. I usually add about 1/4 of box of espom salt to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back