Backpain
Jan 24, 2006 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ricola_pak

100+ Head-Fier
Conditions:

-I have been going to the gym almost everyday the previous few weeks, but not to do weights, only to do cardio, and situps
-I haven't lifted anything heavy
-I have been sitting in front of my computer for a long time these days

Under these conditions, I have been having a really painful backpain since the afternoon of Saturday. I had to take some Tylenol to allow me to go to university these past days.

I was silly and actually went to the gym to jog and bike for a bit on Sunday, and initially the pain lessened. I thought it was because the exercises loosened my muscles. But heck, the day after, Monday, the pain got worse.

So now it's Tuesday morning, and I still have it. I have a lot of labs and assignments to do at school, so I don't really have time to go see a doctor today.

To be honest, I am not sure why I have this backpain and how I can get rid of it. It just came to me out of the blue, and I would think if it was due to my exercising, it would've come more gradually.

Any ideas?

Jan 24, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 26
Do what I do - lie on the ground - hard flat ground. Let the back unkink. Roll on your side and go to sleep.
tongue.gif
Honestly, I haven't exercised for years and my back is groovy, while in my track days my lower back hurt like mad. Just relax and take it easy - be lazy. It doesn't sound like chronic back pain, more like you strained something and just need to chill.

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 26
Go see your doctor now!

I had a very similar situation in November. There was no physical event that could have caused damage, I just had a painful backache (lower right side) that I thought would get better after a few days rest. Guess what, it didn't. In fact I was a semi-cripple. Getting into or out of bed took ten excrutiating minutes. I used a walking stick to get around my own place! I needed help to get dressed! If alone I couldn't put my socks on and used a coat hanger to pull up my pants after I stepped into them. Once with track pants, after they were up I saw they were on backwards but it was too much trouble to go through the ordeal again, I went ass backwards.
tongue.gif

My doctor sent me to a back clinic where I was taught some exercises, had some massage and electric buzzing things on my back. I did the exercises for three days, a push up with the waist down and shoulders back, ten times every two hours and on the fourth morning I sat up, stood up and walked without aide for the first time in two weeks. I was as good as ever within two weeks.

Go see your doctor now!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
They fixed me up.

The Canadian Back Institute

Thanks. I found one very near to where I live. Now do I have to go get a referral from my family doctor first? Or can I go straight there?

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 26
well i'm not one to say NOT to go to a doctor, but taking 10 minutes to get out of bed sounds different from someone who was sore, went to the gym, and now is sore again. again, it couldn't hurt to see if anything funky is going on, but i'm not hearing red alerts going off. then again, i'm no Chiro.
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
Thanks. I found one very near to where I live. Now do I have to go get a referral from my family doctor first? Or can I go straight there?

I don't know, a phone call will answer that. I think probably either way. I was covered by my workplace insurance.

I was struck when I went to jog across an intersection who's lights had turned yellow and bang! I couldn't run. I was quite concerned when after resting at home for five days I wasn't one bit better. Was I ever going to work again? Was I going to end up on disability? Did I need surgery? Was a normal life over? Were talking real pain here.
The therapist at CBI told me I was "textbook" and I was really, really relieved when I made that giant leap of improvement after the third day. I also had an electric heating pad in use nearly all day, which I bought at that time, and doctor prescribed muscle relaxant medication (those were some sweet afternoon naps!). You don't seem as badly off as I was.

What other course of action is there but to go see your doctor?

Jan 24, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 26
Jahn, you're right. I am ok now. I don't think I need to see the doc.

But it wasn't just sore. It was some real pain.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
taking 10 minutes to get out of bed sounds different from someone who was sore, went to the gym, and now is sore again.

Oh man what an experience! It's totally bizarre to become essentially crippled in a 24 hour period.

(Fingers crossed)

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 26
once when i was 17 i thought i was invincible and lifted a damned XEROX machine from our 2nd floor to the basement.

yep, threw out my back. lay on the wood floor for 2 days with a heating pad. everything kinked back where it had to go and i was up and running. but yeah, when it happened i felt like i'd never stand straight again, very scary.

still didn't go to the doctor tho.
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Oh man what an experience! It's totally bizarre to become essentially crippled in a 24 hour period.

(Fingers crossed)

The most fun part of a super back pain is to plan, the word is not even strong enough, an expedition between the bed and the toilet....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
Conditions:

-I have been going to the gym almost everyday the previous few weeks, but not to do weights, only to do cardio, and situps

Any ideas?

Yes I have some....
biggrin.gif

Unless there is something wrong with your general backbone structure (only a doc could tell you about this) your problem could originate not in a weak back muscles condition ( in fact the back is supported in part by the abdominal muscles strenght so here we go situps.) but in a lack of flexibility of the area.

I hurted myself in the past (my tennis greatness past I kept bothering members with....
biggrin.gif
) because I was much more strong than flexible.

Good luck,

Amicalement

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 26
Veteran back pain warrior speaking here...

First go to the doctor. They can take spinal measurements and stuff to find out if your bones are messed up. My left leg is 1/4 inch shorter than my right. It skews my hips and my lower back is all jacked up as a result. I also suffer from occasional hip joint problems as a result.

What they will tell you:

Refrain from heavy lifting.
Refrain fomr heavy activity.
Lie down and rest as much as possible.
Anti-anflamitory meds (advil, tylenol). Maybe they will prescribe a high dosage ibuprofen (~600mg per tablet). But its the same thing as taking 3 200mg advil pills. I always find ibuprofen more effective than tylenol or aspirin... a couple advil gel-caps and Im fine.
HEAT (!!) I highlight this because it works wonders for my back. Lie on an electric heating pad frequently. They sell heating pads at drug stores. I prefer the disposable non-electric ones, that attach with velcro. They stay hot for ~8 hours. I have also used "Body glove" wet-suit type wraps and they work very well to keep you warm through out the day.

IMHO its not the intensity of heat... but the duration of application. In other words, a body-glove wrap worn all day (moderate temperature) is more effective than lying on a HOT electric heating pad for 40 munites at night. Of course both is the best scenario.

Stretch, calesthenics (SP?) in the morning and at night. In the hot shower, take 7-8 minutes and stretch / twist your back under the hot water.

A flatter pillow and firm mattress worked wonders for my lower back.

This is all I really need for my back. Good Luck...

**edit**
Im not entirely sold on magnetic therapy. I tried it when I strained my ACL in volleyball league, but I was doing numerous other treatments at the time too.

Garrett

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
Doctors are for whoopsies
biggrin.gif

JUST KIDDING, go see your Doctor it could be Anything, don't expect a certain diagnosis from an internet forum.

I didn't bother asking advice from headfiers at the time mostly due to the youngish age of the population. But I did ask at another forum with a more mature pop and in addition to receiving a lot of useful information got the support of learning how very many people have been stricken with truly debilitating back pain, tales of 30 minute torture tests to crawl to the phone in order to call an ambulance. I had no idea it was so common.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
The most fun part of a super back pain is to plan, the word is not even strong enough, an expedition between the bed and the toilet....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

The terrible part is the lack of general physical activity increases the chances of getting a little backed up and well let's just say surely someone heard the mighty Sequoia fall in the empty forest.
icon10.gif

Also a new source of terror: the sneeze!
frown.gif

Quote:

The terrible part is the lack of general physical activity increases the chances of getting a little backed up and well let's just say surely someone heard the mighty Sequoia fall in the empty forest.
icon10.gif

It was my call that was audible and I didn't call "timber".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back