Backing up iTunes - is a CD the only option?
Mar 12, 2007 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Like anyone concerned about making sure you never lose you valuable music after a lot of work, I want to back up my iTunes folder. I recently bought a 5.5G 30GB iPod and am happy with it, so far, but it seems the only option I have for file preservation is with using CD's.

I'd like to be able to simply place the iTunes folder in my external HDD. I was hoping that would be a simple case of copying the file. Am I missing something, here?

What about the exporting feature? Does that copy or move the whole folder?

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 17
So, is that a simple matter of right-clicking and SEND TO the appropriate drive? Seems easy enough.

Mar 12, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 17
OK, after I found the iTunes folder, it's now in the MyBook. It's already about 2 GB is size.

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 17
Today, when I imported a CD, the iTunes message box came up with (paraphrased) "noticed there is another iTunes folder, only one can be synced, do you want to go from there?" I naturally didn't want to sync from thje external drive, just wanted from Drive C.

Of course, the iPod software de-selected what was already there after choosing the sync option, and only the new CD was imported and that was all of its contents - the podcasts went but the photos stayed. I tried to copy the folder that was in the MyBook, but that didn't work. I ended up reloading the few discs I had previously done, not a big deal, but it took time.

I must have screwed this up, somehow, but adding a CD to the iTunes folder in your hard drive shouldn't wipe out the contents nor ask the source from whence it came, but it's probably a safety measure.

For simplicity, I will simply only add music I already have on CD's and not bother with a back-up iTunes folder. Podcasts come and go, after I listen to them, once, they are not important - I'll leave them in the iPod as they don't take up much space.

If anyone sends me msuic, I'll back up those folders, as the iPod doesn't automatically sync those unless I drop/drag them to iTunes.

Mar 13, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 17
The way I do it is I copy everything (not using iTunes) into the iTunes folder (which I've moved to D:\My iTunes). Then just re-add that folder to itunes when I open iTunes. Never really had a problem with it. That said I rarely use iTunes only to work with the other halfs Shuffle. I don't use it to import CD's or anything like that. Unless its not recognised in Audiograbber anyway.

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 17
I am becoming less and less of a fan of jukebox platforms, in general. Even simple CD importing can be a problem with the occasional disc; about one in five cannot be fully transferred, whether it be iTunes or SonicStage (with MiniDisc). It tends to "hang" on a track, and it can't get copied unless it's all jumbled up.

Thanks for the advice, Sparky, there has to be a simpler way.

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 17
Have to say I never really have problems like that. If a CD isn't recognised in Audiograbber it generally will be in iTunes or SonicStage or Visa-Versa. Unless the disk itself is scratched.

I like Media Monkey, as a manager. Its far from perfect but it does a lot of what I need. I don't use it for ripping because I found I was getting random noise in my MP3's using it. No idea why. Its simpler to do it using Audiograbber/Lame anyway. SonicStage and iTunes work well for me, though I don't like how music is organised in either so I rarely use them.

But back on the original subject, to back up your iTunes all you need to do is copy the iTunes folder. Assuming of course its the "right" iTunes folder. I do the same with my SonicStage library, simple copy it, then reimport it as required. I use a backup application to Synch the iTunes, SonicStage, and my main Mp3 library to a couple of external drives. Same as I do my other data.

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 17
So, can one take the data in the iPod and send (import) it back to iTunes if you have a crash? If I have CD rips, the CD's are the back-ups; of course, what good is the iPod if you don't put other stuff in there, like videos and podcasts? The key seems to be when you attach the USB cord and how you have the platform to select or de-select.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 17
I have had to restore an IPOD on 3 occasions, once the IPOD died and 2x the system that had ITunes on it crashed.

The XML file was jacked so I had to rebuild the index et all but was able to get the tunes back on the IPOD, the easiest solution I have found and the one I use today is CopyPod from http://www.copypod.net/ takes care of all the misc files needed and allows you to back up into ITunes or into a spare folder on a big drive someplace. I run it in vista just fine, although I know they say its not 100% supported at the moment. They update the software frequently.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 17
I am a little confused - is copypod the default platform when you attach the USB plug and sync or does your music get copied to that folder?

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a little confused - is copypod the default platform when you attach the USB plug and sync or does your music get copied to that folder?

Copypod is a separate application that works with Itunes.

ITunes just allows you to put data onto your IPOD, CopyPod just has the functinality to take it off (as you see fit) and back it up or restore. The website link is pretty informative and they have a trial version.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 17
That was fruitless - I downloaded the trial version and it promptly crashed. I am guessing I need to have Vista or else it can't do a damn thing.

If I can't find a way to back-up these files in a simple manner, I may have to sell the iPod. If I can export the existing files from the iPod back to the PC without going through hoops, that is all I want. It seems that Apple want you to upgrade to a newer iPod model before your present OS even runs its course.

Is there something I can use in the way of the export command in the iTunes platform? Can I create a folder strictly for music and use the SAVE AS feature?

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

That was fruitless - I downloaded the trial version and it promptly crashed. I am guessing I need to have Vista or else it can't do a damn thing.

Why would you need vista?
confused.gif
I installed it myself and it (well the different apps) worked fine.

Quote:

If I can't find a way to back-up these files in a simple manner, I may have to sell the iPod. If I can export the existing files from the iPod back to the PC without going through hoops, that is all I want.

You were asking about backing your iTunes folder. Thats a completely different thing to backing up your iPod. Which is it? Both?

Quote:

It seems that Apple want you to upgrade to a newer iPod model before your present OS even runs its course.

What does that mean?
confused.gif
What difference does the iPod model/OS make?
confused.gif

Quote:

Is there something I can use in the way of the export command in the iTunes platform? Can I create a folder strictly for music and use the SAVE AS feature?

Which are you talking about now. The iPod or iTunes? The music is in the iTunes folder. You can copy it using Windows Explorer if thats all you want. I suspect it isn't though.

Personally I don't find the whole iTunes/iPod Synergy all that great, and I see a lot of people baffled by it. I'm surprised since there are a load of iPod users here that people don't have more suggestions on how they backup their iPods etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back