Background noise terminated
Apr 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

acidbasement

1000+ Head-Fier
So, what do you do to reduce/eliminate/mitigate background noise in order to enrich your listening experience?

Being from the north, I've lived for the last 13 years in various houses with forced-air heating systems. The fan from the furnace drove me nuts, especially since two years ago when I had kids and my personal music space had to move to the basement, right next to it.

Two weeks ago my family and I moved into our "forever" home (or at least the home that our kids will have to move us out of when we're too old to do it ourselves), and prior to moving in, we installed wood stoves to heat it. No more droning fan noise piped all over the house through metal ducts! I'm pumped. The baby is currently napping and my HD600s are not competing with any ambient noise. How sweet it is.

Anyone else wrestle with the background noise issue in perhaps unconventional or even extreme ways? I know IEMs and closed cans are popular options around here, but I'm interested in hearing what else people do.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 9
My best friend used to have a bedroom on a house corner at the corner of a busy suburban intersection. To sleep, he turned on an old, nonfunctional TV between stations and turned the volume up to make "white" noise.

I use ear plugs for backround noise.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 9
all i hear around me are my dog snoring and a bird
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 9
When the power goes out I get a sense of all the low frequency noise/hums of heaters and the refridgerator. The fridge in particular makes an annoying hum and occasional ice maker noise. But hey, cold beer/fresh food comes at a price sometimes.
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Luckily i'm not sensitive to background noise at all, i sleep through my fridge, room heater, and even the TV when my wife watches it, but when it comes to light, one little flicker will wake me up, it's very annoying, thank god for those eye covers at night.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm not sensitive to background noise unless I'm engaged in one activity - listening to music. Why bother spending all this money to bring out micro-details in our music if we can't hear them when the furnace or refrigerator are on? Doesn't anyone else wrestle with this? If not I'm very surprised.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 9
Not much background noise to block out here at home -> so even low volume on the K1000 works fine.
On public transportation I find IEMs to take care of most of it.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the same problem with my dog snoring. What is up with that, LOL. Light and noise do not bother me when I sleep as my wife say's a train could run through the house and someone would have to wake me up to tell me. Other noises like fridge, tv etc sometimes get to me when trying to listen to music but it doesn't bother me much.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Don't use headphones so I just turn the noise up
smily_headphones1.gif

NOt much I can do about the background noise, i.e. cars going past, people outside, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back