Back with an old-school full sized source (at last)
Feb 28, 2004 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow, the pawn shops (well, Cash Converters) are being good to me just lately
smily_headphones1.gif

Today, I've picked myself up a Technics SL-PS70 CD player - According to what I can find out about it on the web (not a lot) it was made in 1990 and was the first Technics unit to have their MASH DAC on an LSI chip (whatever that means)

Anyways... this thing has FOUR DACs per channel, and a pretty respectable s/n ratio of 112db, centre load mechanism etc etc...

It cost me $60ish, and so far, its sounding pretty good... more coherent than my Marantz CD63SE - which I feel will now be retiring to the nearest scrap-heap in the sky
smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone have any idea how this thing stacks up with modern day units? - In a month or so, I should be able to stack it up against a Sony 555ES unit... but would be interested if anyone here had any insight?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 24
The weirdest, and most annoying feature (or lack of) of this player is that it doesn't have track skip buttons on the main unit (and it didn't come with remote) - it has direct track access, but try adapting to that after 10+ years of track skipping... not easy!

Other than that, sounds good!
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/cdplayers/slps70.htm

nice looking machine. Probably very tweakable too!

http://www.123remotes.com/technics.asp
(these guys may have the remote)

Hi Budgie...

No joy with the remote, its not listed there
frown.gif

On the bright side, in terms of tweaks, this can have a TriChord Clock 4 tweak... might put it in for that
wink.gif

Also, have cleaned the lens, and run the Densen DeMagic CD through it a few times, which have between them opened up the top end... all in all, a stellar bargain for £40
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
Does this Technics CD player have a detachable power cord?

Sure does!
biggrin.gif

Music Fanatic...

I can't see it there, the part number I need is: RAK SL5005

Feb 29, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 24
lol D-EJ915...

Yes, it has track search - so could do it that way, but to be honest, the more I use it, the more i'm getting used to the direct track access buttons...

I also like the fact that it automatically goes onto standby mode when the CD has stopped... nice and power conserving
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 24
Duncan,

I bought a Technics player a while ago with the same MASH technology and a similiar look to it. I also paid around $60 US. The sound is quite enjoyable. I've opened it up once or twice out of curiosity and it's not built incredibly well. The transport is prone to sliding discs out of the back of the transport and tossing them in to the empty space in the player's case. (No, I am not joking. This happened with three of my CDs.) It didn't look like it had potential for modification when I opened up as the parts used weren't very high quality. Still, it's a fun player. I used it in my main system for months and still keep it around my room.

Feb 29, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 24
Hajime..

Thats alarming... extra especially the bit about losing the CDs
eek.gif

Do you have any idea what the model number of yours is / was... I'm hoping, with this being the first player with MASH (there is something funny about that term) - as is even said on the Panasonic Time-line, that they did something half decent with it...

Time'll tell, although if you could tell me the model number of yours, if nothing else... it'll tell people what one to steer clear of!

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 24
Duncan,

The model # is SL-PD687. It's actually not that bad of a player, really! It's fun to play around with. Yours looks to be a higher-end (or more expensive) model in their line.

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
...but try adapting to that after 10+ years of track skipping... not easy!

I curse my d25s at least once a week for making me press extra buttons to scan through songs.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Don't get me started on the lack of track resume, what were they thinking in 92?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back